Basic thing with general relativity

In summary: No, the parallel transport does not always give the four momentum correctly elsewhere along the path.
jostpuur
(This could be a dumb question, but in any case I'll be happy if the answer is simple)

I understood that the path of a freely moving object in space satisfies the geodesic equation, but I'm not fully sure how precisely to deal with the four momentum of the object. Have I understood this correctly, if I think that the four momentum is a tangent vector to the path, and that the time evolution of the four momentum is obtained by parallel transport along the path?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the 4-momentum to be constant requires ( D is covariant differentation )

[tex]\frac{Dp^{\mu}}{D\tau} = m\frac{D^2x^\mu}{D\tau^2} = 0[/tex]

which is the geodesic equation.

I think your conclusion is correct.

jostpuur said:
(This could be a dumb question, but in any case I'll be happy if the answer is simple)

I understood that the path of a freely moving object in space satisfies the geodesic equation, but I'm not fully sure how precisely to deal with the four momentum of the object. Have I understood this correctly, if I think that the four momentum is a tangent vector to the path,

when the path is parameterized by proper time divided by rest mass. If the path is parameterized by proper time, then the tangent vector is the 4-velocity of the object. If some other parameter is used (e.g., the square of the proper time for positive proper time), then the tangent vector to the path is not necessarily easily physically identified.

and that the time evolution of the four momentum is obtained by parallel transport along the path?

Yes, subject to the above.

I see. With massless objects the path cannot be parametrized by proper time, so there should be something else. Suppose I have some arbitrary parametrization of a path of some object whose mass could be zero or non-zero. If I somehow know correctly the four momentum at some point, will the parallel transport always give the four momentum correctly elsewhere along the path too?

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how objects with mass interact with each other and how space and time are affected by gravity.

2. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force acting between objects with mass, while general relativity explains gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. What are some everyday applications of general relativity?

General relativity has been used for GPS navigation, as it accounts for the time dilation caused by the high speeds of satellites. It is also used in the study of black holes and the formation of the universe.

4. Is general relativity still considered a valid theory?

Yes, general relativity has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately describe the behavior of gravity in our universe. However, it does not fully explain the behavior of gravity at the quantum level, so it may be modified or replaced by a more comprehensive theory in the future.

5. Can general relativity be understood by non-scientists?

While the mathematics behind general relativity can be complex, the basic concepts can be understood by non-scientists. There are many resources available, such as books and videos, that explain general relativity in simpler terms.