How Do I Calculate the Speed at Point D with Translation and Rotation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity at points D and B for an object with translational and rotational components. The rotational speed is determined by multiplying the radius and angular velocity. The question is whether the object is slipping or not, which can be determined by the non-zero velocity at point D.
Jason03
Heres the diagram for the problem...

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3248/35090397eg3.jpg [Broken]

heres my work...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8352/33iw6.jpg [Broken]

I made my conversions... I am starting by finding the speed at D...its not zero because of the angular velocity...but I am trying to figure how to add the two x components...

the translational x component should be .833 ft/s...but for the rotational I need to account for omega...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the rotational speed? Is that the problem? It's r*omega. So that's the rotational speed. Now just split the velocity vector into xy components. This is basically an identical problem to you last post.

And what is the question?

kamerling said:
And what is the question?

Good point. In the last post is was to compute the velocities at the various points.

The problem is asking for the velocity at points D and B...as well as if the object is slipping...Im still trying to figure out point D first

ok I found D...it was just the rotational - translational ...

I used the V=r*omega to get the rotational

[tex] V_{d} = .999 - .833 = .166 ft/s = 2 in/s [/tex]

but actually I think the signs should be reversed if you look at the vectors in my FBD...that makes sense because the magnitude is the same and the direction should be to the left which is negative...

Last edited:
ok I found the velocity at point B as well...im just not sure how to tell if the wheel is slipping or not...

If the velocity at D is non-zero, then it's slipping. If it's not slipping then point D is moving at the same speed as the road and has zero velocity.

Thank You...thats what I thought...

1. What is the difference between translation and rotation?

Translation is when an object moves in a straight line from one point to another, while rotation is when an object turns or pivots around a fixed point.

2. How do you calculate the amount of translation or rotation?

Translation can be calculated by finding the distance between the initial and final positions of an object, while rotation can be calculated by measuring the angle of rotation around a fixed point.

3. What are the practical applications of translation and rotation?

Translation and rotation are used in many fields such as engineering, robotics, and computer graphics. They are essential in creating and designing structures, machines, and animations.

4. Can translation and rotation occur simultaneously?

Yes, translation and rotation can occur at the same time. This is known as a combination of translation and rotation, where an object moves both in a straight line and rotates around a fixed point.

5. What are some real-life examples of translation and rotation?

Examples of translation include a car moving along a road, a person walking, and a train traveling on a track. Examples of rotation include a spinning top, a rotating Earth, and a swinging pendulum.