Question regarding force on a square loop due to a magnetic field

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving a magnetic field and a square loop carrying current. They are looking for guidance on which formula to use and how to approach the problem, as they are trying to refresh their knowledge in electromagnetics. They do not want a solution, but rather a few examples to build their confidence in solving similar problems.
soumyasch
I am really stuck on this question, can someone help me out?

Code:
Suppose that the magnetic field in some region has the form [B][tex]\vec{B}[/tex][/B]=kz[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] where [I]k[/I] is a constant. What is the force it will exert on a square loop of side [I]a[/I], lying in the [I]yz[/I]-plane and centered at the origin. The loop carries a current [I]I[/I] that flows conterclockwise looking down the [I]x[/I]-axis.

It would be very helpful if the steps that should be followed to solve this problem could be provided. Solution is not solicited. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done regarding this? What formula should you use here?

This is not a assignment or homework of mine :) I have been out of touch with electromagnetics for about six years now. But recently I am having a need to refresh what I learned in my first year of graduation. Instead of reading through textbooks all over again, I am trying to go through solutions of problems trying to recall something.

Like I already said, I don't remember much from my graduation course (I am a CSE graduate) (and definitely not names of formulae) and where they are applied. I would be very grateful if someone can guide me on what formulae needs to be applied here (I don't want the solution) so that by doing this a few times I get enough confidence to try a few other problems on my own. Thanks.

The force on an element of current in a magnetic field is given by:
[tex]I d\vec{\ell} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Take advantage of symmetry.

1. What is the relationship between the force on a square loop and the magnetic field?

The force on a square loop is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it is placed in. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the force on the loop also increases.

2. How is the direction of the force on a square loop determined?

The direction of the force on a square loop can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flowing through the loop, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the force will be perpendicular to both and can be determined by the direction your palm is facing.

3. How does the shape of the loop affect the force it experiences in a magnetic field?

The shape of the loop does not affect the force it experiences in a magnetic field, as long as the loop remains a closed shape. The force is determined by the current and the magnetic field, not the shape of the loop.

4. What factors influence the magnitude of the force on a square loop in a magnetic field?

The magnitude of the force on a square loop is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, and the angle between the loop and the magnetic field. A larger current or stronger magnetic field will result in a larger force, while a smaller angle between the loop and the field will also increase the force.

5. Can the force on a square loop be negative?

Yes, the force on a square loop can be negative. This occurs when the current is flowing in the opposite direction of the magnetic field, resulting in a force that is opposite in direction to the one predicted by the right-hand rule.