Hydrogen bonding with NH3 .help.

In summary, NH3 can act as both a donor and acceptor of hydrogen in hydrogen bond formation. A diagram can be drawn to show the bonding of an ammonia molecule with two other NH3 molecules, where the top and bottom hydrogen atoms are attached to the nitrogen atoms. The diagram should have solid lines representing covalent bonds and stars representing hydrogen bonds.
phys1618
hydrogen bonding with NH3 please.help.ASAP!

Homework Statement

NH3 is a donor & acceptor of hydrogen in hydrogen bond formation...Draw a diagram to show the H bonding of an ammonia molecule w/2 other NH3 molecule.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this is waht i did
H H H
| | |
H-N***H-N***H-N
| | |
H H H

solid lines is covalent bond, stars are hydrogen bonds. did i do it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

well teh top and bottom H are attached to the Nitrogen...diagram didnt turn out like how i drew it...

Looks, uh... great!

lol XD

Ignoring the fact that it is completely scrambled looks OK to me.

1. What is hydrogen bonding with NH3?

Hydrogen bonding with NH3 refers to the attraction between a hydrogen atom bonded to a nitrogen atom in ammonia (NH3) and another electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen, in a neighboring molecule.

2. How does hydrogen bonding with NH3 occur?

Hydrogen bonding with NH3 occurs when the slightly positive hydrogen atom in NH3 is attracted to the slightly negative charge on a nearby electronegative atom, forming a weak bond between the two molecules.

3. What are the properties of hydrogen bonding with NH3?

Hydrogen bonding with NH3 results in a higher boiling point and surface tension for ammonia compared to other molecules of similar size. It also contributes to the solubility of ammonia in water.

4. What is the significance of hydrogen bonding with NH3 in biological systems?

Hydrogen bonding with NH3 plays a crucial role in biological systems, as it is responsible for the structure and stability of DNA, proteins, and other biomolecules. It also allows for specific interactions between molecules, such as enzyme-substrate binding.

5. Can hydrogen bonding with NH3 occur with other molecules besides water?

Yes, hydrogen bonding with NH3 can occur with other polar molecules that have electronegative atoms, such as alcohols, amines, and carboxylic acids. However, the strength and frequency of hydrogen bonding may vary depending on the specific molecules involved.