Decay rate of a scalar particle under scalar/pseudoscalar lagrangian

In summary, the difference in decay rates between \Gamma_a and \Gamma_b is due to the different angular momentum couplings between the scalar and Dirac fields in L_a and L_b, respectively.
torus
Hi,
I'm trying to solve problem 48.4 of Srednickis QFT-Book. It goes something like this:

Homework Statement

We have a scalar field with mass M and a Dirac field with mass m (M>2m). The interaction part of the lagrangian is
[tex]L_a = g \varphi \bar{\Psi}\Psi[/tex]
[tex]L_b = g \varphi \bar{\Psi}i\gamma_5 \Psi[/tex].
Now the decay rates [tex]\Gamma_{a/b}[/tex] of the process [tex]\varphi \rightarrow e^+ e^-[/tex] are to be calculated and compared. It turns out [tex]\Gamma_b > \Gamma_a[/tex], which should now be explained in light of parity/angular momentum conservation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did all the calculations but I am having a hard time with the explanation. I know that [tex]L_a/L_b[/tex] is scalar/pseudoscalar under parity, but I don't see why this should affect the decay rate.

Any help is welcome.

Regards,
torus

Physics news on Phys.org
_sThe key here is that the different forms of the interaction represent different angular momentum couplings between the scalar and Dirac fields. The decay process of a scalar field can only occur if the angular momentum of the initial state is conserved, which means that the scalar field must couple to the Dirac field in a way that preserves this angular momentum. In the case of L_a, the coupling includes a vector current, which means that the total angular momentum of the system must be zero because vector currents always couple to opposite spins. This limits the possible decay channels of the scalar field and results in a lower decay rate.On the other hand, L_b includes a pseudoscalar coupling, which means that the total angular momentum of the system need not be zero. This opens up more decay channels for the scalar field, resulting in a higher decay rate.

1. What is the Decay Rate of a Scalar Particle?

The decay rate of a scalar particle refers to the probability of a scalar particle decaying into other particles over a certain period of time. It is a measure of how quickly the particle decays.

2. What is a Scalar/Pseudoscalar Lagrangian?

A scalar/pseudoscalar lagrangian is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions of scalar and pseudoscalar particles. It is a type of Lagrangian density, which is a function used in particle physics to describe the dynamics of a system.

3. How is the Decay Rate of a Scalar Particle Calculated?

The decay rate of a scalar particle can be calculated using the Feynman diagram method, which involves summing over all possible paths that the particles can take. It can also be calculated using the Golden Rule formula, which takes into account the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the decay process.

4. What Factors Influence the Decay Rate of a Scalar Particle?

The decay rate of a scalar particle can be influenced by several factors, including the mass of the particle, the strength of the interaction between the particles, and the energy available for the decay process.

5. How Does the Decay Rate of a Scalar Particle Under a Scalar/Pseudoscalar Lagrangian Compare to Other Types of Lagrangians?

The decay rate of a scalar particle under a scalar/pseudoscalar lagrangian can vary depending on the specific interaction being studied. However, in general, it is typically slower than the decay rate under other types of lagrangians, such as vector or axial-vector lagrangians.