Convergence of Series: Comparison vs. Limit Comparison Test

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: And, in the end, it is up to the students to put in the effort and learn the concepts for themselves. So, if you are struggling with a problem, don't hesitate to try and work it out on your own. Also, if you are unsure about something, ask a classmate or a tutor. With these tips in mind, I think you will do just fine on your Maths 250 assignment.In summary, Warren suggests that students should try and work out problems on their own and if they are still struggling, ask for help from classmates or tutors.
squenshl
Do I use the comparison test or limit comparison test to see if the series sin^2(1/n) converges or diverges and if the series n^2/(n^2+1) converges or diverges.

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one i would use the comparison test, while for the second i would try the divergence test first, and see whether a_n-->0 as n-->infinity.

Thought so, thanks.
For the first one I know a(n) = sin^2(1/n), so could I use b(n) = 1/(n^2).
As for the second I see that the limit as n tends to inf using the divergence test is 1/2 which doesn't equal 0 so therefore this series diverges. Thanks

Last edited:
I have got no idea what test to use for the series lsin(n)l/n^2.
Any help.
And would I use a ratio test on the series n!/(2n+1).

Don't ask us if you would use so and so test on a series; try it yourself and see if it works.

For |sin n|/n2, compare with 1/n2.

I just noticed that some of you are relying on these forums instead of attempting and working on the problems yourselves. This is a gentle warning that if by now you are unsure how to solve these problems, then you are not ready for the forthcoming test and your chances of doing well in Maths 250 would be small, and at best you would probably get a low grade. The purpose of assignments is to give you exercise in the concepts and skills discussed in lectures. The point is not to earn marks by any means possible; marks are a consequence of your understanding through practice.

Warren.

Someone just got caught!Ops!...lol...

Well, while it is true that many students, including myself, ask for help in these forums, i would say that for the most part the people who seek for help here get only hints. THat is, it is them(with some exceptions) who do the most part of the job.

Likes roam

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms of the series get smaller and smaller, eventually approaching zero.

2. How do you determine if a series converges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series converges, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known patterns of convergence or divergence.

3. What happens if a series does not converge?

If a series does not converge, it is said to diverge. This means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value, and the series may either oscillate between positive and negative values or grow infinitely large.

4. Can a series converge to a negative value?

Yes, a series can converge to a negative value. This means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite negative value as the number of terms increases. However, it is more common for series to converge to a positive value or to have no convergence at all.

5. Why is it important to determine if a series converges?

Determining if a series converges is important in many areas of science and mathematics, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations. For example, in physics, series convergence is used in calculating electric and magnetic fields. In economics, it is used in calculating interest rates and growth rates. In general, understanding series convergence helps us make sense of the world around us and make informed decisions based on mathematical principles.