Calculating Derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$: A Justification

• Thread starter Feynman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the derivative of a function, \sigma_{N}(t), which is defined as the sum of g_{i}(t) from i=1 to N. The function g_{i}(t) satisfies a given differential equation, which includes two sums with similar terms. To justify a proposition, the individual terms are arranged in an array, with m and n as the row and column indices respectively. This helps in understanding the truth of the proposition.
Feynman
:surprise:
Hello,
I've to calculate the derivate of :
[tex]
\displaystyle \sigma_{N}(t):=\sum_{i=1}^{N}g_{i}(t)
[/tex]
and [tex] g_{i}(t) [/tex] verify the differential equation:

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{d g_i}{d t}(t) =
\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} \frac{1}{k}K(k,i-k) g_{i-k}(t) g_k(t) - \sum_{l=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{l}K(l,i) g_i(t)g_l(t) [/tex].

I've to justify:
[tex] \displaystyle \partial_{t}\sigma_{N}(t):= - \sum_{i,j\leqN;i+j>N}\frac{1}{j}K(j,i) g_i(t)g_l(t) [/tex]
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like just some kind of troublesome computation...You may like to "visualise" the problem by putting things in an array (much the same way like you put entries to the matrix). Note the similarities in the two sums in your differential equation (both include summand of the form (1/m*K(m, n)g_n(t)g_m(t)). Then put the summands in an array. Say for example if you are taking m to be the row index and n to be the column index then the sum SUM(l from 1 to infinity) {1/l*K(l, i)g_i(t)g_l(t)} would occupy the entire ith column of your array. From this you may easily "visualise" that your proposition is true.

Hello there,

To justify the calculation of the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$, we can use the chain rule for derivatives. Since $\sigma_N(t)$ is defined as a sum of functions $g_i(t)$, we can write it as:

$\displaystyle \sigma_N(t) = g_1(t) + g_2(t) + ... + g_N(t)$

Now, using the chain rule, we can calculate the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ as:

$\displaystyle \frac{d\sigma_N(t)}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(g_1(t) + g_2(t) + ... + g_N(t))$

$\displaystyle = \frac{dg_1(t)}{dt} + \frac{dg_2(t)}{dt} + ... + \frac{dg_N(t)}{dt}$

Substituting the given differential equation for each $g_i(t)$, we get:

$\displaystyle \frac{d\sigma_N(t)}{dt} = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\left(\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} \frac{1}{k}K(k,i-k) g_{i-k}(t) g_k(t) - \sum_{l=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{l}K(l,i) g_i(t)g_l(t)\right)$

Next, we can rearrange the sums and use the property of summation to write it as:

$\displaystyle \frac{d\sigma_N(t)}{dt} = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\left(\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} \frac{1}{k}K(k,i-k) g_{i-k}(t) g_k(t)\right) - \sum_{l=1}^{\infty}\left(\sum_{i=1}^{N} \frac{1}{l}K(l,i) g_i(t)\right)g_l(t)$

Finally, we can use the definition of $\sigma_N(t)$ to write it as:

$\displaystyle \frac{d\sigma_N(t)}{dt} = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\left(\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} \frac{1}{k}K(k,i-k) g_{i

1. What is the formula for calculating the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$?

The formula for calculating the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ is:$\frac{d\sigma_N(t)}{dt} = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{dX_i(t)}{dt}$

2. Why is it important to calculate the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$?

Calculating the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ allows us to determine the rate of change of a system over time. This is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, where understanding how a system changes over time is crucial for making predictions and analyzing data.

3. How is the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ used in real-world applications?

The derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing weather patterns, and modeling population growth. It allows us to understand how a system is changing and make informed decisions based on that information.

4. Can the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ be negative?

Yes, the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ can be negative. This indicates that the system is decreasing or decelerating over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$?

One limitation of using the derivative of $\sigma_N(t)$ is that it assumes a continuous and differentiable function, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the derivative calculation is dependent on the accuracy of the initial data and any potential errors in the measurement process.