Calculating Flux with Inverse Square Law for Radioactive Sources

In summary: The conversion factor is 3.7 x 1010 as you show. Both Ci and Bq relate to disintegrations per second into 4 pi sterads. So neither is disintegrations per sterad. Secondly, it is all disintegrations, and not just gammas or betas.
Rajini
hello all,
i wanted to calculate the illumination at counter using inverse square law..(not a home work problem)
In my case i have a flat radioactive source (not point source) with a surface area of [tex]\pi(2.5)^2[/tex]mm[tex]^2[/tex]. Source ([tex]^{57}[/tex]Co) strength is [tex]1.85\times 10^9[/tex]Bq. Half-life=272 days. Now what will be the flux arriving at the detector placed 300 mm far from the source?
Second question: To convert Ci to Bq, we just multiply by [tex]3.7\times10^{10}[/tex]. Is there any other conversion to convert Ci to some 'X' by dividing by 9 ??
If some one knows some links/url/notes for calculating the count rate please reply me..
I don't how to apply the inverse [tex]^2[/tex] law!
Thanks for your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to specify what flux you want.

1 Ci (Curie) is 3.7 x 1010 decays per second into 4 pi sterads.You need to multiply this value by the number and branching ratio of all the photons (and charged particles) to get count rate.

Bob S

[Added] Here is what the following URL says about Co-57 branching ratios:
Appendix I. The Cobalt-57 radioactive decay.

Cobalt-57 decays to iron-57 by beta decay, with a half-life of about 270 days. The energy-level scheme for iron-57 is shown in Figure AI-1 below. The decay almost always (99.8% of the time) goes to the JP = 5/2- excited state of the iron-57 nucleus. And most of the time this state decays in two steps, giving gamma rays of 122 keV and 14 keV. The 14-keV gamma ray is the line used to observe Mossbauer absorption. In 11% of decays the state goes directly to the ground state, giving a 136 keV gamma ray.

In addition to these three gamma rays, the iron-57 atom will emit abundant K*a and Kb atomic X-rays, at about 6 keV. Thus the dominant features of the spectrum from a sodium-iodide detector should be clear peaks at 6, 14 and 122 keV, with a weak line at 136 keV.

See http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~bland/courses/490/labs/Mossbauer/mossbauer.html

It is an EC decay
the gamma branching ratios are about
14.4 KeV 89%
122 kev 89%
136 kev 11%

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,
thanks for you reply. From you reply i got one important message that accounts for '9'.
Okay, i actually work with Mössbauer spectroscopy (only the 14.4 keV level, which is of 9.2% of the total decay of 57Co). So for making calculation for the flux that arrive at detector one need to divide source strength by that 9.2. Am i correct?.
What is your opinion??

Ps:The values you gave is actually the sum of conversion electron and gamma decay probability. Also i don't know why in that website they wrote that 57Co decay process is beta decay...it is 100% EC.
thanks.

Here is the best information I can find on the Cobalt-57 branching ratios (see thumbnail). The 14.4 KeV gamma is about 9.15%. This state seems to have a high probability of decaying by auger(?) electrons plus K x-rays.
Bob S

Attachments

• Cobalt_57.jpg
    Cobalt_57.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 482
The 2.5 mm radius of your source is very small compared to the 300 mm distance from source to detector, so I think you'd get an excellent approximation without worrying about the complications from the non-pointlike source geometry. What kind of precision do you need? At the level of precision where you were worrying about the non-pointlike source, you'd probably also need to worry about the finite size and detailed geometry of the detector.

Hi, Yes what you said is correct..
But the source strength is divided by 9 or 9.2? Instead of multiplying (as bob said: it should be multiplied).
PS: detector counts only the events of 14.4 keV, which is roughly 9 or 9.2 per 100 disintegration. Source strength is 1.85X10^9 disintegration per second.
thanks

Last edited:
Rajini said:
Second question: To convert Ci to Bq, we just multiply by [tex]3.7\times10^{10}[/tex]. Is there any other conversion to convert Ci to some 'X' by dividing by 9 ??.
I think the conversion factor is 3.7 x 1010 as you show. Both Ci and Bq relate to disintegrations per second into 4 pi sterads. So neither is disintegrations per sterad. Secondly, it is all disintegrations, and not just gammas or betas.
Bob S

What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a principle that states the intensity of a physical quantity, such as light or radiation, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

How does the inverse square law apply to calculating flux for radioactive sources?

The inverse square law applies to calculating flux for radioactive sources because as the distance from the source increases, the intensity of radiation decreases according to this law.

What is flux and how is it related to the inverse square law?

Flux is the amount of radiation that passes through a given area per unit time. It is related to the inverse square law because the intensity of radiation decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a decrease in flux.

How do you calculate flux using the inverse square law for radioactive sources?

The formula for calculating flux with the inverse square law for radioactive sources is F = S/(4πr²), where F is the flux, S is the source strength, and r is the distance from the source. This equation takes into account the inverse square relationship between distance and intensity of radiation.

What are some potential applications of calculating flux with the inverse square law for radioactive sources?

Some potential applications of calculating flux with the inverse square law for radioactive sources include determining safe distances for handling radioactive materials, designing radiation shielding for nuclear facilities, and understanding the spread of radioactive contamination in the environment.