Black Hole Confusion: How Karen Masters Contributed

In summary, the conversation discusses a previous claim about an observer falling into a black hole experiencing infinite blue shift at the event horizon. After research, it is found that this only applies to a stationary observer at the event horizon, while an infalling observer would have a different perspective. Videos are suggested for a better understanding of the concept.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In a recent thread I erroneously claimed an obsever falling into a black hole would experience infinite blue shift at the event horizon. After a few beat downs I realized my error, but, was curious how I arrived at that flawed conclusion. After a bit of research, I blame it all on Karen Masters . . .

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=348
“... Eventually at the event horizon there is an infinite shift - so the light has an infinite amount of energy, but zero wavelength. ...”

but then I realized she was talking about a stationary observer at the event horizon. An infalling observer would have a different perspective as noted by

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.4717
“... Near the singularity, the observer's view is aberrated by the diverging tidal force into a horizontal plane. The view in the horizontal plane is highly blueshifted, but all directions other than horizontal appear highly redshifted. ...”

Physics is hard, so I resort to videos

http://jilawww.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/schw.html

“ ... Click on the image at left (with the horizon grid) or right (without the horizon grid) for an animation of the appearance of the outside Universe as you lower yourself slowly to the horizon. The Universe appears brighter and brighter as you approach the horizon, tending to infinite brightness at the horizon. ...”

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
@Chronos did you find any more insight on this topic?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own weight.

2. How did Karen Masters contribute to the understanding of black holes?

Karen Masters, a professor of astronomy at Haverford College, has made significant contributions to the study of black holes through her research and publications. She has also played a crucial role in educating the public about black holes through her work with the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

3. What is the confusion surrounding black holes?

The confusion surrounding black holes stems from the fact that they are difficult to observe directly. This has led to many misconceptions and misunderstandings about their properties and behavior.

4. How has Karen Masters helped to dispel some of the confusion surrounding black holes?

Karen Masters has helped to dispel confusion surrounding black holes by conducting research and publishing articles that provide a better understanding of these mysterious objects. She has also used her platform as an educator to educate the public about black holes and clear up common misconceptions.

5. What are some common misconceptions about black holes?

Some common misconceptions about black holes include the idea that they suck everything in like a vacuum, that they are portals to other dimensions, and that they are always expanding. In reality, black holes only have a strong gravitational pull within a certain radius, they do not lead to other dimensions, and they can shrink over time due to a process called Hawking radiation.