Determining When and Where Water Balloons Meet

• Thread starter tiffanyg
  • Start date
In summary, two students are randomly attacking each other with water balloons. One student is on the roof and the other is on the ground below. The student on the roof throws a water balloon straight down with an initial speed of 5.2m/s and the student below throws his up at a rate of 7.1m/s. The height of the building is 10m. To determine where and when the two balloons meet, you need to solve for the time t when their positions are equal. This can be done by dealing with each balloon individually, writing down the forces and initial velocity at time t=0, and then using this information to find the velocity and position at time t for each balloon. Finally, you can
tiffanyg
tow students are randomly attacking each other with water balloons. one student is on the roof and the other is on the ground below.

the student on the roof throws a water balloon straight down with an initial speed of 5.2m/s and the student below throws his up at a rate of 7.1m/s. if the height of the building is 10m,

determine where and when the two balloons meet??

[i don't knooow!]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so this is kind of like projectile motion only in one dimension. When working with problems like this it is important to draw a diagram. It also makes it easier if you solve for one balloon at a time.

i drew the diagram...but i don't know how to start to solve, if you help me to get started i can do the rest

Well how do you think you would start it? You don't have to use equations or anything. Try to tell me in words what you would have to do.

ok so.

i started to solve the problem by naming the unknows and what data is given. and i called the boy on the roof B1 and the other boy B2

i also have acceleration= 9.8 m/s2

ok so...

- deal with each balloon individually first
- write down the forces and initial velocity at time t=0 on each baloon
- use these to find the velocity & positon at time t of each baloon

from there you'll need to equate the positions and solve for the time t when they collide

1. How do you determine when and where water balloons will meet?

To determine when and where water balloons will meet, we use mathematical equations and calculations based on the velocity, trajectory, and release point of each balloon. We also consider external factors such as wind speed and direction.

2. What tools or equipment do you use to determine when and where water balloons meet?

We use a variety of tools and equipment, such as measuring tapes, stopwatches, and protractors, to accurately measure and record the necessary data for our calculations. We also use specialized software and computer programs to help with the complex mathematical equations.

3. How accurate are your predictions for when and where water balloons will meet?

Our predictions for when and where water balloons will meet are highly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few inches. However, external factors such as wind and human error can affect the accuracy of our predictions.

4. Can you determine when and where water balloons will meet in different environments?

Yes, our calculations and predictions for when and where water balloons will meet can be applied in different environments, as long as we have the necessary data and measurements. We may need to make adjustments for variables such as altitude or temperature.

5. How can knowing when and where water balloons will meet be useful?

Knowing when and where water balloons will meet can be useful in various situations, such as planning a water balloon fight or designing a water balloon launcher. It can also be used in more practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile in physics experiments.