A really low grade on my intro physics final.

In summary, the speaker received a D grade on their intro physics final, causing a drop in their GPA. They acknowledge their teacher's passion for the subject but not for teaching. They are considering retaking the course but are worried about not doing well again. However, they have seen improvement in their scores over time. The speaker is unsure if they will ever excel in physics and seeks advice on how to approach the problem. The response suggests focusing on learning and improvement rather than grades and potentially moving on if there is no progress.
1irishman
Well, I got a D grade on my intro physics final, which means i got the credits for the course, but my gpa has dropped down a few points. My teacher is not to blame but he sure didn't help either...he has a passion for the subject, but not for teaching. Anyway, I guess i should take it again...now I am just getting paranoid that i won't do well a second time through either. My progress was upward the first time in the sense that i failed the first test miserably, the second test not as miserably and the final even less miserably. So I failed all three tests just not as badly on each try. How do i approach this problem? I don't know if i will ever be good at physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're improving, so that's good :)

It depends on your teacher. Some believe people should fail physics, & it could be natural to have a class average of say 50% on a test, but then they usually curve. The point is, at the end of the day, don't judge yourself by your grades, learn from what you got wrong & improve. If you aren't learning & improving, then it might be time to move on.

What could have caused me to receive a low grade on my intro physics final?

There could be several reasons for a low grade on your intro physics final. It's possible that you didn't fully understand the material, didn't study enough, or made careless mistakes. It's also possible that the exam was particularly difficult or that you had a lot going on outside of class that affected your performance.

Is it common to receive a low grade on an intro physics final?

It depends on the class and the difficulty of the exam. Some intro physics courses may have a higher average grade than others, so receiving a low grade may be more common in those cases. It's important to focus on your own understanding and improvement rather than comparing grades with others.

What can I do to improve my grade on my intro physics final?

First, try to identify what went wrong on the exam. Did you struggle with specific concepts or types of problems? Once you know where your weaknesses are, you can focus on reviewing and practicing those areas. It's also a good idea to seek help from your professor or a tutor if you need additional support.

How will a low grade on my intro physics final affect my overall grade in the course?

This will depend on the weight of the final exam in your course and your grades on other assignments and exams. If the final is a large portion of your grade, then it may have a significant impact. However, if your other grades are strong, it may not affect your final grade as much. It's important to check with your professor to understand how your final grade is calculated.

Should I retake the intro physics course if I received a low grade on the final?

This ultimately depends on your goals and how much you struggled in the course. If you plan to pursue a career in a field that requires a strong understanding of physics, it may be beneficial to retake the course to improve your understanding. However, if you are not planning to continue studying physics, you may choose to move on and focus on other courses.