Which engineering involves the most physics?

In summary, the person is considering majors in ChemE, ME, EECS, and aero/astro. They are aware that EECS offers better job opportunities and flexibility, but they are wondering if they have any misconceptions about the amount of physics involved in the program. They are also advised not to choose a major solely based on job prospects. EECS does involve a lot of math, but less physics compared to graduate level EE classes. Most of the physics in EECS is applied, with a focus on devices and signals, while ChemE/ME involves more mechanics. Ultimately, the decision should be based on whether the person prefers mechanics or physics.
6eecs
Hi,

I'm considering , ChemE, ME, EECS, and aero/astro. As far as I know, EECS seems to have the best job opportunities and flexibility (especially the CS part), but ChemE/ME seem to have more physics in general. It seems like EECS at my school involves quite a lot of math (diffEq/Fourier/Laplace transform for courses like signals&systems, algorithm for CS classes), but very little physics per se, unless you get to graduate level EE classes.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify to me if I'm having any misconceptions.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
6eecs said:
As far as I know, EECS seems to have the best job opportunities and flexibility (especially the CS part), but ChemE/ME seem to have more physics in general.
Don't do it for the job prospects, you'll either drop out or hate yourself in a few years if you do.

It seems like EECS at my school involves quite a lot of math (diffEq/Fourier/Laplace transform for courses like signals&systems, algorithm for CS classes), but very little physics per se, unless you get to graduate level EE classes.
That's about right. Aside from electromagnetics and semi-conductors, all the physics is so applied that it's hard to see the physics part. What I mean is that it's all devices and signals and very much an extension of E&M physics, but on such a level that it's more of a conceptual leap than the ChemE/ME physics (which is a closer extension of mechanics.) If you like mechanics, go the ChemE/ME route, but if you just like physics, well EE's got lots of it too.

1. What is the most physics-heavy engineering discipline?

The engineering discipline that involves the most physics is mechanical engineering.

2. Which type of engineering requires the most understanding of physics principles?

Mechanical engineering requires a deep understanding of physics principles, as it deals with the design and analysis of mechanical systems that are based on physical laws and phenomena.

3. Is there a difference in the amount of physics involved in different branches of engineering?

Yes, there is a difference in the amount of physics involved in different branches of engineering. For example, civil engineering may involve more knowledge of materials science and structural mechanics, while electrical engineering may focus more on electromagnetics and circuit analysis.

4. How important is a strong foundation in physics for studying engineering?

A strong foundation in physics is crucial for studying engineering, as it provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of materials, systems, and processes that engineers work with.

5. Are there any other engineering disciplines that involve a significant amount of physics?

In addition to mechanical engineering, other engineering disciplines that involve a significant amount of physics include aerospace engineering, nuclear engineering, and materials engineering.