Double slit experiment, observer effect

In summary, the conversation discussed a particular experiment where the act of observing caused a wave collapse, even when the data was deleted before anyone could see it. The term "Quantum Eraser" was mentioned and it was clarified that the information cannot truly be deleted, but the system can be returned to its previous state. This process does not allow for the possibility of learning the outcome of the original observation.
khkwang
It was a good while ago since I heard about this particular experiment, but I remember vaguely reading about how in one instance they recorded the observations, but then deleted the data before anyone could look at it, and in that instance the wave was still produced. Thus showing that it really was the act of observing that caused the wave collapse.

Was this bull? Or can someone direct me to a link?

Physics news on Phys.org
khkwang said:
It was a good while ago since I heard about this particular experiment, but I remember vaguely reading about how in one instance they recorded the observations, but then deleted the data before anyone could look at it, and in that instance the wave was still produced. Thus showing that it really was the act of observing that caused the wave collapse.

Was this bull? Or can someone direct me to a link?

I believe what you are referring to is a Quantum Eraser. If so, this is not a good characterization. A more realistic description is as follows:

An observation is made, but the system is returned to the state before the observation was made. In so doing, there is no possibility of learning the outcome of the original observation. In such case, the system can continue to exhibit whatever behavior would have been expected prior to the observation.

The above is real. But you cannot "delete" the information in the sense of data on a disk drive. The process of "erasing" is very specific, and must not leave the possibility of learning the outcome of the original observation.

Thanks, that clears up a lot.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What is the observer effect in the double slit experiment?

The observer effect refers to the phenomenon where the act of observation or measurement affects the behavior of the particles being observed. In the double slit experiment, the act of measuring which slit the particle passes through changes the interference pattern on the screen.

3. How does the observer effect relate to the uncertainty principle?

The observer effect is one of the key principles of the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to precisely measure both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The act of measurement itself alters the behavior of the particle, making it impossible to know both properties simultaneously.

4. Can the observer effect be avoided in the double slit experiment?

No, the observer effect is inherent in the double slit experiment and cannot be avoided. Any attempt to measure or observe the particles will alter their behavior and therefore affect the results of the experiment.

5. What are the implications of the observer effect in the double slit experiment?

The observer effect highlights the fundamental uncertainty and unpredictability of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect and raises questions about the role of consciousness in shaping reality.