Nonlinearity of Piano hammers help

• Thread starter dsds1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary, the individual is seeking help with planning an experiment for a high school research essay on the nonlinearity of piano hammers. They are having trouble understanding certain concepts and are not allowed to receive help from school staff. They are specifically seeking assistance with measuring the compression of felt in the equation F=K*c^p and have referenced a paper that discusses this topic.
dsds1000
I am doing a research essay in high school on researching the nonlinearity of piano hammers, but I am stuck on planning the experiment. Basically my topic is like this paper http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/Publications/pianohammer.pdf. However, since I am only in high school, I have trouble understanding some of the concepts, and that is why I cannot plan an experiment. I tried to ask a teacher, but this is a supposed to be an independent research essay and I am not allowed help from the school staff. So, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you mind reading through it and asking specific questions as you come across things you're having difficulty understanding?

Wow. I was looking at the paper cited and the references listed.
This is a high school assignment? Yikes.
Anyway, you came to the right place if you can ask specific questions like Pythagorean suggests.

The main question I have is how to measure the compression of the felt in the equation F=K*c^p. (where c is compression of the felt). I am having trouble in designing this lab around finding the compression of felt. If anyone could help that would be great

I do not know this subject at all, but I did see these statements in the paper you cited, page1. You probably already read this:

"Dynamic measurements of the force and felt compression,
observed during the impact between a piano hammer and a
rigidly fixed string, have been obtained by Suzuki [6, 7],
Boutillon [8], and Yanagisawa and Nakamura [9]. Data may
be fit rather well to Eq.(1), with typical values of p ranging
from 2.3 to 3.6 for voiced piano hammers."

1. What does "nonlinearity of piano hammers" mean?

The nonlinearity of piano hammers refers to the fact that the force exerted by the hammer on the strings is not directly proportional to the distance the key is pressed. This nonlinearity is essential for producing the rich, dynamic sound of a piano.

2. How do nonlinear piano hammers affect the sound of a piano?

The nonlinearity of piano hammers allows for a wider range of dynamics and tonal colors in the sound produced by a piano. This creates a more expressive and nuanced sound that is characteristic of the instrument.

3. How are piano hammers made nonlinear?

Piano hammers are made nonlinear through a combination of materials and design. The shape and density of the hammer, as well as the type of felt used, all contribute to the nonlinear behavior. Additionally, the placement of the hammer on the string and the angle at which it strikes also play a role.

4. What are the benefits of having nonlinear piano hammers?

The benefits of nonlinear piano hammers include a wider range of dynamics and tonal colors, as well as a more expressive and nuanced sound. Nonlinear hammers also help to create a more responsive and sensitive playing experience for the pianist.

5. Can the nonlinearity of piano hammers be adjusted or modified?

Yes, the nonlinearity of piano hammers can be adjusted or modified through techniques such as voicing, which involves shaping the hammer to change its density and hardness. This can alter the way the hammer interacts with the strings and affect the sound produced by the piano.