Good linear algebra book recommendation

In summary, there are several recommended books for self-studying linear algebra, including "The Linear Algebra a Beginning Graduate Student Ought to Know" by Jonathan Golan and "Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. For a more rigorous approach, the book by Treil is suggested, while Hefferon's book offers a slightly less rigorous but still good introduction to the subject. These recommendations can be found in the science book forum.
missfangula
Hello everyone,

I am looking to teach myself linear algebra this summer, but I can't find a good book.
Any recommendations?

-miss fangula

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Axler the best. There are lots of similar threads in the science book forum. I sugggest you search there if you want to see other recommendations.

hoffman kunze

One of my professors recommended "The Linear Algebra a Beginning Graduate Student Ought to Know" by Jonathan Golan. I am currently working through it right now, and I am enjoying it thoroughly, as it is a little more involved than the textbook I had for my undergraduate linear algebra course (the only one I've had the opportunity to take so far).

I'm self-studying using Linear Algebra by Strang, and I'd recommend it for anyone who is learning linear algebra for the first time.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations through matrices and vectors. It involves the manipulation of these mathematical objects to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

Why is it important to learn linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many areas of science and engineering. It provides a systematic and efficient way to model and solve complex problems, especially those involving large data sets. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as multivariable calculus and differential equations.

What makes a good linear algebra book?

A good linear algebra book should have a clear and organized presentation of the material, with plenty of examples and exercises for practice. It should also cover a broad range of topics, including vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, a good book should provide real-world applications and connections to other areas of mathematics.

What are some recommended linear algebra books?

Some highly recommended linear algebra books include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay. These books are known for their clear explanations, comprehensive coverage of the subject, and numerous exercises for practice.

Are there any online resources for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning linear algebra, such as video lectures, interactive tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Linear Algebra by MathDoctorBob on YouTube. These resources can be helpful for supplementing a textbook or for self-study.