Complex current along a resistor

In summary, the power dissipated in a 200ohms resistor with a current of .587e^j1.12 is 34.5 watts. To calculate this, you need to find the complex conjugate of the given current, multiply it by the original current, and then multiply it by the resistance. Lastly, you need to divide the result by 2 to account for the RMS value of the current.
Ry122
If a current of .587e^j1.12 is passing along a 200ohms resistor, how would I go about calculating the power dissipated in the resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]P = (V)(I^*)=(IZ)(I^*)=Z(II^*)[/tex]

Now, I times I conjugate leaves the magnitude of I squared. Z is not complex, only resistive.

the complex conugate of i multiplied by i is .0653 - .5487j isn't it?
Then do I just multiply the real part of this by the resistance?

Ry122 said:
the complex conugate of i multiplied by i is .0653 - .5487j isn't it?
Then do I just multiply the real part of this by the resistance?

No. Complex conjugate means you take the vector, keep its magnitude, and add a negative to the angle. You can also think of it as adding a negative to the imaginary component of the vector.

[tex]I = .587e^{j1.12}[/tex]
[tex]I^* = .587e^{-j1.12}[/tex]
[tex]II^*=.587e^{j1.12}.587e^{-j1.12}=(.587)^2e^{j1.12-j1.12}= (.587)^2e^{0}=(.587)^2[/tex]

does Z represent the resistance?
.587^2 x 200 = 68 Watts which is wrong for some reason.

Z = Impedance (complex resistance)

What does your book say is the correct value?

It says the correct answer is 34.5 watts

Ry122 said:
It says the correct answer is 34.5 watts

It's because you gave us peak current without saying! Almost always will you be given RMS and when it's not stated, RMS is assumed. Everything I said above is the same for peak values of voltage/current except you need to divide by 2.

[tex]\frac{I_p}{\sqrt{2}}=I_{rms}[/tex]
So when you have I^2 (in rms) you have 1/sqrt(2) squared = 1/2

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to resist the flow of electrical current. It is commonly made of a material that is designed to have a specific resistance value, and it is used to control the amount of current in a circuit.

What is complex current?

Complex current refers to the flow of alternating current (AC) through a resistor. In this type of current, the direction and magnitude of the current changes over time, as opposed to direct current (DC) which flows in one direction.

How is complex current different from direct current?

The main difference between complex current and direct current is that complex current changes direction and magnitude over time, while direct current flows in one direction. Another difference is that complex current is typically used in AC circuits, while direct current is used in DC circuits.

What factors affect the complex current along a resistor?

The complex current along a resistor is affected by the resistance of the resistor, the frequency of the AC current, and the capacitance and inductance of the circuit. Other factors, such as temperature and the material of the resistor, can also have an impact on the complex current.

How is complex current measured?

Complex current is typically measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the alternating current as a waveform. The peak-to-peak voltage and frequency of the waveform can then be used to calculate the complex current using Ohm's law (I = V/R).