Power dissipated in R (zener diode circuit)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the dissipation in a resistor connected to a zener diode that is supplying 5V to a load drawing 100mA from a 10V source. The minimum zener current is 5mA and the resistor has a value of 47Ω. After attempting to solve the problem, the speaker realizes their mistake in assuming the load to be 0 ohms and not accounting for the zener diode's behavior when the load voltage drops below 5V. The correct answer is 2.13W, which can be easily calculated by drawing out the circuit.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

A zener diode runs off 10V and supplies 5V to a load that draws 100mA. The minumum zener current = 5mA. R = 47Ω What is the dissipation in the resistor if the output is short-circuited?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using R = V - Vz / Izmin + Iload:

I said Iload = 0 (since the output is short-circuited) then:

R = V - Vz / Izmin + 0
= 10 - 5 / 0.005
= 1000Ω

Power of R = (V - Vz)^2 / R
= (10 - 5)^2 / 1000
= 0.025W

But the correct answer was 2.13W. Could someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two mistakes offhand. The first is you are confusing load with resistance. A short circuit may have 0 ohms of resistance which is an infinite load (theoretically).

The second mistake is that if the load voltage drops below 5 V, the zener stops conducting and is out of the picture.

The problem is much simpler than it seems. Draw it out and see if that helps.

1. What is the formula for calculating the power dissipated in a zener diode circuit?

The formula for calculating the power dissipated in a zener diode circuit is P = Vz * I, where Vz is the zener voltage and I is the current through the diode.

2. How does the power dissipation in a zener diode circuit affect the overall circuit?

The power dissipation in a zener diode circuit can cause the diode to heat up and potentially fail if the power exceeds its maximum rating. It can also affect the voltage regulation of the circuit, as the zener diode may not be able to maintain a constant voltage if it is dissipating too much power.

3. What factors can affect the power dissipation in a zener diode circuit?

The power dissipation in a zener diode circuit can be affected by the zener voltage, the current flowing through the diode, and the resistance of the circuit. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and ambient conditions.

4. How can the power dissipation in a zener diode circuit be reduced?

The power dissipation in a zener diode circuit can be reduced by using a higher voltage zener diode, increasing the resistance in the circuit, or using a heat sink to dissipate the excess heat. It is important to ensure that the power dissipation does not exceed the maximum rating of the zener diode.

5. What is the significance of the power dissipation rating for a zener diode?

The power dissipation rating for a zener diode is the maximum amount of power that the diode can safely dissipate without overheating or failing. It is important to choose a zener diode with a sufficient power dissipation rating for the specific circuit it will be used in, to ensure proper functioning and avoid damage to the diode.