Will a Masters in Mathematics Improve My Employment Prospects After Graduating with a BSc in Physics?

In summary: Physics majors at LSE are typically hired in investment banking or other quantitative roles. A masters in mathematics would help you get a job in a quantitative field. However, a masters in physics may be more advantageous if you want to work in a field such as engineering or medical research.
jamesa00789
So next year I am graduating with a BSc Physics. Just wondering if having a masters in Mathematics will actually help employment prospects? Or would a phD be more worth while?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Employment where? If you are looking for Investment Banking opportunities, both mathematics or physics will help you, especially if you are from USA, banks there prefer physics students to math students.

I'd rather say pursue what you are interested in and you will get a job that best fits you, eventually!

Thank you for your reply! I am definitely looking to go into finance or banking. I want to be the one that applies maths and problem solving to figure out how to make the cash. I'm in the UK by the way.

So how about a masters in Financial Mathematics? To be honest, I feel like I am not entirely ready to go into the working world and I am interested in a subject that involves a lot of Maths.

If you are so keen on making money then I would definitely recommend you to consider Financial Mathematics program.

Given your physics background, an even better choice will be to apply for an internship or analyst position at some banks in UK and pursuing Financial Engineering at USA, the starting salary for experienced guys is currently around $ 150K, it is very competitive, but if your grades in your under graduate program are fair enough, with 1-3 years of working experience in banking industry nothing can stop you (caution: they will cost you a fortune, but it will take less than a year to pay them off).

Yeah thanks for that mate. I have an open day at a university I am thinking of applying to next week, I will visit the Business school. My friend in the USA has been offered a job working for an oil company, starting on $111,00/yr without bonus'. He does chemical engineering. I didn't realize chemical engineers were paid so much.

I have just come back from a summer job working in the USA and I really wouldn't mind working there for a couple of years.

Thanks

I would recommend you to apply to MSc Risk & Stochastics at LSE.

The financial maths MSc cost MUCH more than a normal MSc in applied maths. If you were thinking about an MSc in maths then there are few of general/specific MSc's that I would recommend.
The fluids MSc from Manchester is very well regarded, ther applied maths MSc from Imperial is good, the UCL MSc also has some good options (including financial) as well as Oxford and then there is part III at cambridge.

Mat

1. What is a Masters in Mathematics?

A Masters in Mathematics is an advanced degree program that focuses on the study of mathematical theories, concepts, and techniques. It is typically a 2-year program that provides students with a deeper understanding of mathematics and prepares them for careers in areas such as research, teaching, and industry.

2. What are the entry requirements for a Masters in Mathematics?

The entry requirements for a Masters in Mathematics may vary depending on the university or program, but typically include a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, strong mathematical skills, letters of recommendation, and a strong academic record. Some programs may also require applicants to take the GRE or other standardized tests.

3. What can I do with a Masters in Mathematics?

A Masters in Mathematics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, finance, cryptography, and education. Graduates may also pursue further education, such as a PhD, or work in research and development for government agencies or private companies.

4. What courses are typically included in a Masters in Mathematics program?

Courses in a Masters in Mathematics program may include advanced topics in algebra, analysis, topology, and geometry, as well as specialized courses in areas such as statistics, numerical methods, and mathematical modeling. Students may also have the opportunity to choose elective courses based on their interests and career goals.

5. Is a thesis required for a Masters in Mathematics?

The requirement for a thesis in a Masters in Mathematics program may vary depending on the university or program. Some programs may offer a non-thesis option, where students complete additional coursework and a comprehensive exam instead. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program to determine the best fit for your academic and career goals.