LCR circuits - phase difference between C and L

In summary, during a practical experiment involving LCR circuits, the phase difference between the voltage across the capacitor (VC) and the inductor (VL) was measured while varying the input frequency. The phase difference was found to be zero when the input frequency matched the resonant frequency. The equations for VC and VL are more complex than initially thought and involve the derivative operator, resulting in a 180-degree phase difference between the two voltages. This explains why the phase difference depended on the signal's frequency.
Darkmisc
I'm writing up a prac that involved LCR circuits.

One part of the prac involved measuring the phase difference between the voltage across the capacitor (V_C) and the inductor (V_L), while the frequency of the input signal was varied.

This was done by measuring the distance between peaks for (V_C) and (V_L) on an oscilloscope.

I got varying values for the phase difference, with a phase difference of zero when the input frequency matched the resonant frequency.

V_C may be expressed as (-1/Cw)I cos wt.

V_L may be expressed as Lw I cos wt.

When looking at these equations, I don't understand why the phase difference depended on the signal's frequency. The way I interpret the equations is that V_C and V_L are permanently 180 degrees out of phase (both being cos of wt, but one negative, the other positive). I can understand that their amplitudes won't always be the same, but it seems to me they should always be 180 degrees out of phase.

Where have I gone wrong in my understanding?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations for the voltages across the capacitor and inductor are over-simplified. The proper equations, in the engineering notation, are (using I(ω) = I0cos ωt)

VC = (+1/jωC) I(ω) = (-j/ωC) I(ω) = (+1/ωC)I0sin ωt

and VL = jωL I(ω) = -ωL I0sin ωt

[Added - Note the 180-degree phase difference between VC and VL]

J is a shorthand operator for the derivative operator j that changes the phase of the current by 90 degrees. so

jsinωt --> +cosωt, and jcos(ωt) --> -sin(ωt).

These are both derived from the basic equations VL = L dIL/dt, and IC = C dVC/dt

Bob S

Last edited:

1. What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is an electric circuit that contains an inductor (L), a capacitor (C), and a resistor (R). It is also known as an "impedance circuit" as it exhibits impedance, which is the opposition to the flow of current.

2. What is the phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit?

The phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit depends on the frequency of the current passing through the circuit. At resonance, when the frequency is equal to the natural frequency of the circuit, the phase difference between C and L is 90 degrees. However, at other frequencies, the phase difference can vary and can be calculated using the impedance of the circuit.

3. How does the phase difference affect the behavior of an LCR circuit?

The phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit affects the behavior of the circuit by determining the impedance, which is the opposition to the flow of current. At resonance, when the phase difference is 90 degrees, the impedance is at its minimum and the circuit behaves like a purely resistive circuit. At other frequencies, the impedance increases, and the circuit behaves differently, depending on the values of C, L, and R.

4. What factors affect the phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit?

The phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit is affected by the values of the components (C, L, and R) in the circuit, as well as the frequency of the current passing through the circuit. Additionally, the arrangement of the components in the circuit can also affect the phase difference.

5. How is the phase difference between C and L measured in an LCR circuit?

The phase difference between C and L in an LCR circuit can be measured using an oscilloscope or a phase meter. These instruments measure the voltage and current in the circuit and calculate the phase difference between them. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the impedance of the circuit at a given frequency.