Book for Introductory quantum mechanics

In summary: I would recommend Griffiths' book as a good starting point, but Modern Physics by Taylor and Zafiratos is more up-to-date and academic.
vissh
Hello >:D
Can u suggest me any book which has well explained basic (introductory)ideas - Louis de Broglie's equation ,uncertainty principle ,the wave model by Erwin Schrodinger - in its starting chapter.
Thanks in advance (^.^)

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths' book is the standard intro-level QM text.

Will give it a try ^.^

Mind you that Griffith's is entry level QM book for a physics major in their junior/senior year. It is not an intro book for the layman and its not an intro book for someone whose scientifically inclined, but maybe doesn't have much experience in physics already.

Even more basic than Griffith's, but still academic quality (like say for anyone whose done freshman calc based physics on the level of Halliday and Resnick, Jewett, etc...) would be Modern Physics by Taylor and Zafiratos and probably a nice bridge between Taylor and Griffiths would be Understanding Quantum Physics by Morrison.

If you want a very inexpensive book, then you can always try QUantum Theory by Bohm, but I am not quite sure at what level to put that in. Id say probably between Morrison and Griffiths, possibly at Griffiths level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three letters: DJG

O.O DJG what !

vissh said:
O.O DJG what !

O.O ? :confused:

I assume DJG means David J. Griffiths, the author of Introducing Quantum Mechanics. If you want something at a somewhat lower level, you might want to look at Modern Physics texts, like Modern Physics by Tipler and Llewellyn. Also, many first-year texts now have a number of chapters on modern physics. Baggot is interesting, but, unfortunately, I lost my copy during a move.

George Jones said:
O.O ? :confused:
hehe

Absolutely!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different situations.

2. What is the purpose of an introductory book on quantum mechanics?

The purpose of an introductory book on quantum mechanics is to provide a basic understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of this complex field of study. It is intended for students who are new to quantum mechanics and want to learn the basics before delving into more advanced topics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand quantum mechanics?

While a strong background in mathematics is helpful in understanding the mathematical equations and concepts used in quantum mechanics, it is not necessary. Many introductory books on quantum mechanics explain the concepts in a way that is accessible to those without an extensive mathematical background.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in the development of new materials and technologies, such as transistors and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as nanotechnology, cryptography, and quantum computing.

5. How can one use an introductory book on quantum mechanics to further their understanding of the subject?

An introductory book on quantum mechanics can serve as a foundation for further study in this field. It can provide a solid understanding of the basic principles and concepts, which can then be built upon with more advanced texts and research. It can also serve as a reference for reviewing and clarifying concepts as needed.