Jordan basis and jordan normal form

In summary, the characteristic polynomial of matrix A is (x-1)^3(x-2). The minimal polynomial is (x-1)^3(x-2). The Jordan normal form is a diagonal matrix, meaning the matrix is diagonalizable. The Jordan basis is the basis for diagonalization, which can be found by determining the eigenspaces of 1 and 2 and finding bases for Ker(A-I), Ker[(A-I)^2], Ker[(A-I)^3], Ker(A-2I). To find the eigenspaces, solve for the vectors that satisfy (A-I)v=0 and (A-2I)v=0.
specialnlovin
Let
A=
PHP:
2 -1 2 1 
1 0 3 1
-2 1 0 1
-1 0 0 3

the characteristic polynomial of A is (x-1)3(x-2)
find the minimal polynomial, jordan basis, and jordan normal form
I know the minimum polynomial is (x-1)(x-2), but I am not sure how to find the nordan basis and jordan normal form

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues are 1 and 2.
The algebraic multiplicities of the eigenvalues tells how many times each eigenvalues there are on the diagonal. Here, the number 1 will appear 3 times on our diagonal and the number 2 will appear 1 time on our diagonal.

Now, the most important thing is the size and the numbers of the Jordan blocks.
The size of the largest Jordan block of an eigenvalue, is the exponent of this eigenvalue in the minimal polynomial. So, in our example here, what are the sizes of the largest Jordan blocks of the eigenvalues 1 and 2??

so the largest sizes of the jordan blocks for 1 and 2 are 1x1 blocks

Indeed. But this means that the Jordan normal form is a diagonal matrix! And in particular, the matrix is diagonizable!

Thus the Jordan normal form can easily be written down.
The Jordan basis is, in this case, just the basis for diagonalization (i.e. a basis of eigenvectors)

how do we find the basis of eigenvectors though? when i did (A-I) i got only one vector

First determine the eigenspaces of 1 and 2.

so is the eigenspace of 1 the span of (2, 3, 0, 1)t? and the eigenspace of 2 the span of (1, 1, 1, 1)t? but then how do i get the eigenvectors from that?

Hmm, I recalculated. It seems your minimal polynomial is wrong. It is not true that

[tex](A-I)(A-2I)=0[/tex]

What is the correct minimal polynomial??

(a-i)3(a-2i)

For V1(1) i found the vector v1=(2, 3, 0, 1)T
for V2(1) i found the vector v2=(-1, -1, 1 0)T
but I cannot figure out v3

Ok, so the correct minimal polynomail is [tex](x-1)^3(x-2)[/tex].
So, what are the sizes of the largest Jordan blocks of 1 and 2?

the largest jordan block of 1 is 3x3 and 2 is 1x1.
so the eigenspace of 1 is the span ((2, 3, 0, 1)T, (-1, -1, 1, 0)T, (0, 1, 0, 0)T)
and the eigenspace of 2 is the span of (1, 1, 1, 1)T right?

No these eigenspaces are incorrect. The vectors you mention aren't even eigenvectors...

The next step you need to do is to determine bases for

[tex]Ker(A-I), Ker[(A-I)^2], Ker[(A-I)^3], Ker(A-2I)[/tex]

This will help us determine the Jordan basis.

If you're confused about what I'm doing. Check the following site www.ms.uky.edu/~lee/amspekulin/jordan_canonical_form.pdf This gives some examples of calculations of the Jordan normal form...

What is a Jordan basis?

A Jordan basis is a set of linearly independent eigenvectors that span the entire vector space, and are associated with a Jordan canonical form matrix. These basis vectors can be used to simplify the computation of the Jordan normal form of a matrix.

What is the Jordan normal form?

The Jordan normal form is a canonical form of a square matrix, which represents the matrix in a simpler form by grouping together the eigenvalues and their corresponding eigenvectors. It is useful for understanding the properties and behavior of a matrix, as well as for solving systems of linear differential equations.

How is the Jordan basis related to the Jordan normal form?

The Jordan basis is used to compute the Jordan normal form of a matrix. The basis vectors correspond to the eigenvalues of the matrix, and the matrix can be represented in the Jordan normal form by grouping these eigenvectors with their corresponding eigenvalues.

Why is the Jordan normal form important?

The Jordan normal form is important because it provides a simplified representation of a matrix, making it easier to analyze and understand its properties. It also has practical applications in solving systems of linear differential equations and in diagonalizing matrices.

How is the Jordan normal form computed?

The Jordan normal form is computed by finding a Jordan basis for the matrix, and then using this basis to create a similarity transformation that converts the original matrix into its Jordan normal form. This involves finding the eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and generalized eigenvectors of the matrix.