How Can Two Power Supplies Be Used to Solve Issues in Thomsons e/m Experiment?

• Thread starter Howlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the construction of an apparatus for Thomson's e/m experiment. The person is stuck on finding the dimensions of an electromagnet with a 0 to 250V variable high voltage supply and a 0.5 T field. They also consider using a fixed power supply in addition to the variable one to solve the problem. The conversation also touches on the advantages and disadvantages of using a Helmholtz coil versus an iron core electromagnet for this application.
Howlin
I have to do a question and I am stuck on it, can anyone help me with it?

You are trying to do Thomsons e/m experiment and you have a 0 to 250V variable high voltage supply and a wide gap electromagnet with field of 0.5 T in the gap

a) draw a diagram of the apparatus showing the placcement of the internatl components and any needed dimensions, which will be given to a glass blowing vacuum technology section for constrution of the unit

b) You discover that your variable supply can only go to 200 and not 250.
Your supervisor said he will buy a cheap fixed version rather than a new variable. You realize that using both supples will allow you to solve the problem. Explain how using the two supplies can get over the problem

c) Calculate the output voltage required from this supply for your purpose

If anyone can help with any parts i wood be greatful

I have tried to draw the apparatus but i can't find any thing on how to find out the dimensions of an electromagnet of 250V and 0.5T. If you give me the formula used to figure this out i wood be greatful

For part B i would think if you put the two power supplies in series you would get the needed output, but i don't no if that would work in reality or only I am my world

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Howlin said:
I have to do a question and I am stuck on it, can anyone help me with it?

You are trying to do Thomsons e/m experiment and you have a 0 to 250V variable high voltage supply and a wide gap electromagnet with field of 0.5 T in the gap

a) draw a diagram of the apparatus showing the placcement of the internatl components and any needed dimensions, which will be given to a glass blowing vacuum technology section for constrution of the unit

b) You discover that your variable supply can only go to 200 and not 250.
Your supervisor said he will buy a cheap fixed version rather than a new variable. You realize that using both supples will allow you to solve the problem. Explain how using the two supplies can get over the problem

c) Calculate the output voltage required from this supply for your purpose

If anyone can help with any parts i wood be greatful

I have tried to draw the apparatus but i can't find any thing on how to find out the dimensions of an electromagnet of 250V and 0.5T. If you give me the formula used to figure this out i wood be greatful

For part B i would think if you put the two power supplies in series you would get the needed output, but i don't no if that would work in reality or only I am my world

I'm assuming that you're using the Electric field to accelerate electrons, and the perpendicular B field of the magnet to deflect the electrons (and measure the deflection based on the bias voltage). Is this correct? Can you post a sketch of how you would position the plates and the magnet? What are you supposed to use for your cathode (electron source)?

And you are correct to series-connect the fixed and variable power supplies. As long as at least one of them is floating (the outputs are isolated from Earth ground), you can series connect them. So if you nave a 200V variable supply, and you want to be able to get up to 250V, what value of fixed supply should you specify?

Here's a cool setup. It uses a Helmholtz coil instead of a magnet to generate the orthogonal B-field:

http://www.telatomic.com/tubes/_e/m_thomson.html

it wood look something like this
http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kaniol/f2000_lect_nuclphys/lect1/jj_aparatus.jpg

The electrons from the cathode are accelerated and forms a beam by the PD (of 250V) between the anodes. This beam then passes through the wide gap electromagnet with field of 0.5T in the gap. Then the beam hits the screen at the end.

I wood use a 50V fixed power supply in series with the 200V power supply.

If that is right then all i need help with is the dimensions of the elctromagnet. is there a formula to relate voltage, tesla and the area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Howlin said:
it wood look something like this
http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kaniol/f2000_lect_nuclphys/lect1/jj_aparatus.jpg

The electrons from the cathode are accelerated and forms a beam by the PD (of 250V) between the anodes. This beam then passes through the wide gap electromagnet with field of 0.5T in the gap. Then the beam hits the screen at the end.

I wood use a 50V fixed power supply in series with the 200V power supply.

If that is right then all i need help with is the dimensions of the elctromagnet. is there a formula to relate voltage, tesla and the area?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Here is an introduction to electromagnets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

Quiz Question -- what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Helmholtz coil versus an iron core electromagnet for this application?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks but is there any equation for connecting voltage to tesla?

the advantage is that the Helmholtz coil can produce an almost uniform magnetic field while the electromagnet wiht an iron core could cause more of an non uniform magnet field as the iron core could have flaws in it

Howlin said:
thanks but is there any equation for connecting voltage to tesla?

Yes, see the wikipedia link I posted.

Howlin said:
the advantage is that the Helmholtz coil can produce an almost uniform magnetic field while the electromagnet wiht an iron core could cause more of an non uniform magnet field as the iron core could have flaws in it

Correct about the Helmholtz coil. The iron core electromagnet has a less uniform field, but not because of flaws. It's more because fringing -- see the figures in the wikipedia link.

thank you for your help

1. What is Thomsons e/m experiment and why is it significant?

Thomsons e/m experiment was an experiment conducted in the late 19th century by British physicist J.J. Thomson to determine the ratio of an electron's charge to its mass (e/m). It is significant because it provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles, specifically electrons, and helped pave the way for the development of modern atomic theory.

2. How did Thomson conduct the e/m experiment?

Thomson used a cathode ray tube, which is a glass tube with metal electrodes at either end, and passed an electric current through it. He then applied a magnetic field perpendicular to the electric field in the tube and observed the deflection of the cathode ray. By measuring the deflection and varying the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, he was able to calculate the e/m ratio of the electrons.

3. What were the results of the e/m experiment?

Thomson's experiment determined that the e/m ratio of an electron was much smaller than that of a hydrogen ion, leading him to conclude that electrons were much lighter than hydrogen ions and therefore must be a component of all atoms. He also found that the e/m ratio was consistent regardless of the type of gas used in the cathode ray tube, further supporting his conclusion.

4. How did Thomsons e/m experiment contribute to the development of atomic theory?

Thomson's e/m experiment provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles, specifically electrons, and helped disprove the popular model of the atom at the time, known as the plum pudding model. This experiment, along with other discoveries in the field of atomic physics, led to the development of the modern atomic theory, which states that atoms are composed of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in specific energy levels.

5. How is Thomsons e/m experiment relevant today?

Thomson's e/m experiment is still relevant today as it laid the foundation for our understanding of the structure of atoms and subatomic particles. It also provided the basis for further experiments and discoveries in the field of atomic physics, leading to advancements in technology and applications in various fields such as medicine, energy, and materials science.