Enhancing My CV/Resumé with Volunteer Work as a Student in Year 11

In summary, the speaker is a Year 11 student looking to enhance their CV with volunteer work. They have already done some private tutoring and have been a teaching assistant for math classes. However, they are looking for more opportunities to volunteer and are seeking advice on how to do so. They also mention wanting to gain more diverse experiences outside of math-related activities.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I am a student in Year 11 (second year of GCSE). I am looking for ways to 'enhance' or add more to my CV/resumé and I have chosen to try and do some volunteer work, in the hopes of making myself try to stand out and possibly increase my changes of getting into university.

I already did voluntary private tutoring at my school (and to a slight extent outside school). I have also talked to my teacher who has let me run after-school maths sessions with able students in order to let students gain a greater understanding of different concepts not introduced at school, and to get away from the whole 'textbook' style of learning. I have taught some classes for maths and biology before (KS3 and KS4), but I am looking to gain more experience. My teacher has also let me be a teaching assistant in different maths classrooms, and I can help out with younger students who are struggling or the very bright students who excel and want more.

However, I still don't feel like this is enough... is there anything else that I could do? Should I run revision sessions? I'm not sure how else I could volunteer, which for now is the main aspect of my CV that I'm working on (along with getting the best GCSE grades I can). I have done my work experience but I have never been officially employed at a paid job.

So, what else could I do? I want to help out, and I am veering more toward voluntary work rather than paid work.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One piece of advice I would have for you is that often times, employers like to see volunteer work in part because it provides your character with some diversity and different perspectives of the world. In turn, making you more personable with people in other departments, etc.

I think it would be better for you if you had some non-math volunteer work, you know, for a food shelf, homeless shelter, etc. They don't want to see that your life is math-oriented.

1. How can volunteer work enhance my CV/resumé as a student in Year 11?

Volunteer work can demonstrate to potential employers or universities that you have a strong work ethic, are committed to giving back to your community, and have gained valuable skills and experiences outside of your academic studies.

2. What types of volunteer work should I include on my CV/resumé?

Include any volunteer work that is relevant to the job or field you are applying for, as well as any leadership roles or significant projects you have completed. This could include volunteering at a local charity, participating in a fundraising event, or organizing a community service project.

3. How much volunteer work should I include on my CV/resumé?

Include enough volunteer work to demonstrate your commitment and skills, but be selective and only include the most relevant and impactful experiences. It is also important to balance volunteer work with other extracurricular activities, academic achievements, and work experience.

4. Can I include volunteer work if I have no previous work experience?

Yes, including volunteer work is a great way to showcase your skills and experiences even if you have no previous paid work experience. It shows that you are proactive and have a strong work ethic, which can make you a desirable candidate for a job or university program.

5. How should I format volunteer work on my CV/resumé?

You can format volunteer work similarly to paid work experience, including the organization, role/title, dates, and a brief description of your responsibilities and accomplishments. You can also create a separate section for volunteer work if you have a significant amount to include.