What does it mean for a bubble to be in equilibrium?

In summary: Soap bubbles are interesting because they are a good example of equilibrium . equilibrium means that the forces pushing and pulling on a object are the same. In a soap bubble, the pressure inside is greater than the pressure outside. This difference is balanced by a force called the surface tension. The surface tension is a force that depends on the surface area of a object. The more surface area there is, the stronger the surface tension.
Matthollyw00d
What does it mean for a bubble to be in equilibrium?
I assumed it just meant that the forces expanding it and the forces compressing it were equal, hence it was at a steady radius. Is there more to it than that?
I'm working on an EM problem so I don't think the specifics are important, I just need some general knowledge on bubbles (and I have none, besides common intuition). Any information pertaining to surface tension would be the most relevant.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Prof. Julius Sumner miller has a cool video on soap bubbles .

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you referring to bubbles of gas in a liquid, and if so from dissolved gas those formed when the liquid boils.

or

Are you referring to soap bubbles in air?

Interesting video. Not really helpful, but interesting none-the-less.
EDIT:
Soap bubbles

OK. So we have a soap bubble, with [tex]P_0[/tex] outside the bubble [tex] \gamma[/tex] for a surface tension on the bubble. So the Pressure inside denoted
[tex]P_A:=\frac{4\gamma}{R}+P_0[/tex].
Now if that bubble expands say to a radius, [tex]S[/tex] for whatever reason, does [tex]P_A[/tex] remain constant inside, to give me a set of equations? Or does the
[tex]F_A:=P_A(4 \pi R^2)[/tex] remain constant and the [tex]P_A[/tex] adjust for the changing radius?

cragar said:
Prof. Julius Sumner miller has a cool video on soap bubbles .

This guy is my hero!

I wish I had a teacher that was this exciting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya Julius is pretty amazing ,

1. What is meant by "equilibrium" in relation to bubbles?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which the forces acting on a bubble are balanced, resulting in a stable and stationary bubble. This means that the pressure inside and outside the bubble, as well as the surface tension, are all in equilibrium.

2. How does a bubble achieve equilibrium?

A bubble achieves equilibrium through the constant exchange of gases between the bubble and its surrounding environment. As gas molecules enter and exit the bubble, the pressure inside and outside the bubble equalizes, resulting in equilibrium.

3. Can a bubble stay in equilibrium forever?

No, a bubble can only maintain equilibrium for a finite amount of time. Eventually, external factors such as changes in temperature or pressure will disrupt the equilibrium and cause the bubble to burst.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a bubble?

Some factors that can affect the equilibrium of a bubble include changes in temperature, pressure, and the composition of the surrounding gas. Additionally, any physical disturbances or interactions with other objects can also disrupt the equilibrium of a bubble.

5. How does the size of a bubble affect its equilibrium?

The size of a bubble does not directly affect its equilibrium, but it can influence the rate at which the bubble achieves equilibrium. Smaller bubbles tend to reach equilibrium faster because there is a shorter distance for gas molecules to travel in and out of the bubble.