Maximum Acceleration with Given Mass and Tension?

In summary, the question asks for the maximum acceleration possible for a 2.00X101 kg mass pulled upwards by a cable with a maximum tension of 5.00X102 N. The correct answer is 15.2m/s2. The solution involves accounting for the acceleration due to gravity and using the formula (T-mg)=ma to find the net force.
kamalpreet122

Homework Statement

A 2.00X101 kg mass is pulled upwards with constant acceleration by a cable attached to a motor. The cable can withstand a maximum tension of 5.00X102 N. What is the maximum acceleration possible?

The answer sheet says the answer is 15.2m/s2

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma
F/m = a
500/20 = a
25 m/s2= a

some1 please tell me what i did wrong :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget gravity!

You have to accout for the acceleration due to gravity!

Edit: Your too fast for me Apphysicist !

Indeed! F=ma is your net force = m* net acceleration. If you apply your maximum tension upward, gravity still acts downward (sum the forces for your net force, don't forget that gravity gets a minus-sign because it acts in the opposite direction of your upward tension). Then use F=ma.

so the formula would be changed to F= (mg)a ?

kamalpreet122 said:
so the formula would be changed to F= (mg)a ?

No, it would be changed to (T-mg)=ma.

Do you see why?

yeaaa kinda ..soo the total weight subtracted from Tension gives me the net force then i apply the forumlaa .. OH that makes so much senseee =) THNXXX :D

man yur great =P i have a really tough question i was not able to figure out want to help me with that :$

kamalpreet122 said:
yeaaa kinda ..soo the total weight subtracted from Tension gives me the net force then i apply the forumlaa .. OH that makes so much senseee =) THNXXX :D

Right. It's much easier to think about F=ma really being:

[tex]\sum_{\text{all}}\bold{F}\,=\,m \bold{a}
[/tex]

So it's a sum of all your vector forces (the bold meaning it's a vector...so for your problem, the +/- indicates the direction is all, since there are no components, it's just in one direction).

ohhh Thnxxx :D

What is force, mass, and acceleration?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the motion of an object. Mass is the amount of matter in an object. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time.

How are force, mass, and acceleration related?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. This means that the larger the force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in newtons (N).

What is the relationship between net force, mass, and acceleration?

Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. According to Newton's Second Law, the net force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. This means that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass.

How does force, mass, and acceleration impact an object's motion?

Force, mass, and acceleration all play a role in determining an object's motion. The greater the force applied to an object, the more it will accelerate. The more massive an object, the less it will accelerate for a given force. And the direction of the force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.