Simple Logic Question of Converting or to and

• Thread starter Hypnos_16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, To convert A ∨ B to an equivalent using ∧, you can use the following tools: a Karnaugh map to spot simplifications and complements visually, and the fact that in digital circuits a NAND gate is equivalent to an OR gate with both inputs negated, and a NOR gate is equivalent to an AND gate with both inputs negated.
Hypnos_16
Simple Logic Question of Converting "or" to "and"

Homework Statement

As the title would have you believe it's really just a basic question.
I have to write (¬q <---> r) /\ (¬p \/ ¬r) ---> (p \/ ¬q) just using "¬'s" and "/\'s" i know how to change everything else, but i cannot, for the life of me remember the equivalent of (a \/ b) in terms of nots and and gates.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Someone please help,

Physics news on Phys.org

I find it's useful to use a Karnaugh map in these cases, since it let's you spot the simplifications and the complements visually.

That being said, I also find it useful to remember that in digital circuits a NAND gate is equivalent to an OR gate with both inputs negated, and that a NOR gate is equivalent to an AND gate with both inputs negated. That is to say, simply move the 'NOT' circles from the front or back of the gate and change from AND or OR or vice-versa.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39527&stc=1&d=1317578702.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,252

But it simple terms of symbols like "∧ and" "¬ not." What would be an equivalent for "or?" The Question i was given is.

Rewrite the following formula using only ¬ and ∧ (that is, write an equivalent formula which does not have ∨,→,↔). Start by saying how you express (p∨q),(p→q)and(p↔q).

(¬q↔r)∧(¬p∨¬r)→(p∨¬q)

With that being the formula i need to convert. I just don't recall how exactly to change ∨ to something with ∧'s and ¬'s

Hypnos_16 said:
But it simple terms of symbols like "∧ and" "¬ not." What would be an equivalent for "or?" The Question i was given is.

Rewrite the following formula using only ¬ and ∧ (that is, write an equivalent formula which does not have ∨,→,↔). Start by saying how you express (p∨q),(p→q)and(p↔q).

(¬q↔r)∧(¬p∨¬r)→(p∨¬q)

With that being the formula i need to convert. I just don't recall how exactly to change ∨ to something with ∧'s and ¬'s

I suggested two tools that would allow you to "remember" how to convert ∨ expressions to ∧ expressions. Here they are converting A ∨ B to an equivalent using ∧:
attachment.php?attachmentid=39535&stc=1&d=1317583697.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,204
i cant even find anything on googleI understand the importance of clear and precise language in logical statements. In this case, it seems like you are trying to convert a logical statement from using "or" to using "and." This can be achieved by using De Morgan's laws, which state that the negation of a disjunction (a statement using "or") is equivalent to the conjunction (a statement using "and") of the negations of the individual statements.

In your case, you can use De Morgan's laws to rewrite the statement as follows:

(¬q <---> r) /\ (¬p \/ ¬r) ---> (p \/ ¬q)

¬(q \/ ¬r) /\ (¬(¬p) /\ ¬¬r) ---> (p \/ ¬q)

(¬q /\ r) /\ (p /\ r) ---> (p \/ ¬q)

This is the equivalent statement using only "nots" and "ands." I hope this helps with your homework!

1. What is the difference between "or" and "and" in logic?

The words "or" and "and" are logical operators used in statements to connect two or more conditions. The main difference between them is that "or" means at least one of the conditions is true, while "and" means all of the conditions must be true for the statement to be true.

2. Can "or" and "and" be used interchangeably in logic?

No, "or" and "and" have different meanings in logic and cannot be used interchangeably. The use of one over the other depends on the intended meaning of the statement.

3. How can I convert "or" to "and" in a logical statement?

To convert "or" to "and" in a logical statement, you can use De Morgan's Laws. These laws state that the negation of "or" is "and" and the negation of "and" is "or". So, to convert "or" to "and", you can simply negate the entire statement and change "or" to "and" and vice versa.

4. What is a truth table and how does it relate to "or" and "and" in logic?

A truth table is a table used in logic to represent the possible combinations of truth values for a given statement. In the case of "or" and "and", a truth table can show the different outcomes based on the truth values of the individual conditions connected by these operators.

5. Are there any other logical operators besides "or" and "and"?

Yes, besides "or" and "and", some other common logical operators include "not" (negation), "implies" (if-then), and "equivalent" (if and only if). These operators also have specific meanings and can be used to connect conditions in logical statements.