Differential forms question

In summary, the conversation revolves around differential forms and their evaluation over directed line segments in R-three using the method of pullback. The speaker has noticed that the rule of Integral from a to c does not equal integral from a to b + integral from b to c, as it does with normal integrals. The expert explains that there is a special class of integrals, called "exact" differentials, that do give the same integral over any path joining the same two points. They also mention the concept of "closed" differentials and their relationship to exact differentials in simply connected regions. The conversation concludes with the expert highlighting the importance of this topic in topology and giving an example of how it relates to the work done by gravity.
eddo
I'm just learning about differential forms and I've noticed something in my homework assignment. We have to evaluate
zdx + xdy + ydz, over directed line segments in R-three by the method of pullback. Let a, b, and c be vectors in R-three. I noticed that Integral from a to c does NOT equal integral from a to b + integral from b to c, as it does with normal integrals. I think that this would make sense, since the meaning of zdx +xdy +ydz, which you are integrating, depends on the line segment in question. Is it true that this rule does not apply with these kinds of integrals, or have I simply made a mistake somewhere in my calculations? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
you are right! there is however a special class of integrals, i.e. differential forms, that DO give the same integral over any path joining the same two points. these are called "exact" differentials, and are precisely those of form df for some function in that region, i.e. a gradient.

another related concept is of a "closed" differential, one such that its curl is zero. these are in fact the same as the exact differentials in any "simply connected" region.

thus to measure how far a region is from being simply connected, one can ask how many closed differentials fail tro be exact.

for example, if we remove n points from the plane, there will be exctly an n dimesnional vector space of closed forms in that region, if we consider all exact forms to be zero.

\this measuring device isa big tool in topology called rerham cohomology.

so you have just noticed one of the most imporatnt question in the subject!

work done by gravity for example is exact so does not depend on the path taken by the object.

Yes, you are correct in your observation. The rule of splitting integrals into smaller segments does not apply to differential forms. This is because differential forms are not just functions, but they also have a geometric interpretation. When integrating a differential form over a directed line segment, the result depends on the specific path taken along that line segment. This is because the differential form is being pulled back along that path, and the value of the form changes as the path changes. So, it is not possible to split the integral into smaller segments and add them together. This is a fundamental difference between normal integrals and integrals of differential forms. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus. They are a way of generalizing the concept of a vector field to higher dimensions. They can be thought of as "oriented infinitesimal areas" or "oriented infinitesimal volumes" at each point in a space.

2. How are differential forms used?

Differential forms are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to describe physical quantities that vary over a space. They are also used in differential geometry to study properties of smooth manifolds and in multivariable calculus to simplify calculations involving multivariable functions.

3. What is the difference between an exact and a closed differential form?

An exact differential form is one that can be expressed as the exterior derivative of another form, while a closed differential form is one whose exterior derivative is equal to zero. In other words, an exact form is the derivative of another form, while a closed form is a "derivative of a derivative."

4. Can differential forms be integrated?

Yes, differential forms can be integrated over a manifold. The integral of a differential form is a generalized version of the Riemann integral used in single-variable calculus. It can be thought of as the "sum of infinitesimal areas" over a space, and is used to calculate quantities such as volume, surface area, and work in higher dimensions.

5. How are differential forms related to vector calculus?

Differential forms are closely related to vector calculus. In fact, vector fields can be represented as differential forms, and many vector calculus theorems, such as Stokes' theorem and the divergence theorem, have equivalent statements in terms of differential forms. However, differential forms provide a more general and elegant framework for studying these concepts in higher dimensions.