The set of Lorentz boosts and space rotations form a group

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of the sets of Lorentz boosts and space rotations, their formation as a group, and the explicit form of the 4x4 matrices needed to show the properties of a group. It is mentioned that the matrix form is not necessary to prove a group and the general form for an arbitrary boost can be found on Wikipedia. However, this form does not include any rotation of the spatial axes. There is a question about whether multiplying this general form by an arbitrary rotation along the spatial axes would result in a boost in a specified direction.
Demon117
Ok. I understand that the set of Lorentz boosts and space rotations is equivalent to the set of Lorentz transformations. I understand that they form a group, but what I cannot seem to grasp is this. What the explicit form of such 4x4 matrices? One needs to know this in order to show that the properties of a group hold. The way I thought they were represented is as follows:

[itex]L_{x}[\beta]=\left(\begin{array}{cccc} \gamma & -\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 \\-\beta \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

The Lorentz boosts in the y and z directions would have similar elements in different entries of the matrix. Is this all I have to work with to show that the Lorentz transformations form a group?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't absolutely need the matrix form to prove things are a group. If you still want to do it this way, you need to find the matrix for an arbitrary boost, not just the boost along one axis, which is a mess - why you usually don't see it.

If you really want to see the general form, you can find it on Wikipedia at Lorentz transformation#Boost in any direction. See also the end of the next section "Composition of two boosts" which gives the same result using 3-vectors.

(Note that this is a boost in any arbitrary direction, but doesn't include any rotation of the spatial axes.)

DrGreg said:
If you really want to see the general form, you can find it on Wikipedia at Lorentz transformation#Boost in any direction. See also the end of the next section "Composition of two boosts" which gives the same result using 3-vectors.

(Note that this is a boost in any arbitrary direction, but doesn't include any rotation of the spatial axes.)

So this general form represents a boost in any direction. If we multiply that by some arbitrary rotation along the spatial axes will we in turn find the boost in some specified direction? I feel like I am confusing myself.

"boost in any arbitrary direction" means "boost in some specified direction". The specified direction is the direction of the velocity (3-)vector [itex]\vec v[/itex].

1. What is the set of Lorentz boosts and space rotations?

The set of Lorentz boosts and space rotations refers to the collection of mathematical transformations that describe the changes in space and time coordinates between two reference frames in special relativity. These transformations, also known as Lorentz transformations, are used to reconcile the differences in measurements of time, length, and momentum between observers moving at different velocities.

2. Why do the Lorentz boosts and space rotations form a group?

The Lorentz boosts and space rotations form a group because they satisfy the four defining properties of a group: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that when two transformations from this set are combined, the result is also a member of the set, they can be applied in any order without changing the outcome, there exists an identity element (no transformation), and every transformation has an inverse (undoing the original transformation).

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz group in physics?

The Lorentz group is significant in physics because it is used to describe the fundamental principles of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It allows us to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, which are essential to understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and the behavior of light.

4. Can the Lorentz group be extended to include other transformations?

Yes, the Lorentz group can be extended to include other transformations, such as translations and spatial reflections, by combining it with other mathematical groups. For example, the Poincaré group includes both the Lorentz group and translations, and it is used in the theory of general relativity to describe the symmetries of space and time.

5. How is the Lorentz group related to the concept of symmetry?

The Lorentz group is related to the concept of symmetry because it describes the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. These symmetries refer to the invariance of physical laws and measurements under certain transformations, such as the Lorentz transformations. The Lorentz group is an example of a continuous symmetry, meaning that it includes an infinite number of transformations, and it plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory and cosmology.