Desperately , mixed Dettol and Bleach, need to know more about the reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses accidentally pouring dettol and sodium hypochlorite down a clogged toilet, causing it to become even more clogged. The person is afraid to enter and is looking for information on the potential reactions and health effects of this mixture. The recommended solution is to add hot water in stages and wait it out.
kenzoi
I accidentally threw dettol (chloroxylenol) down a clogged toilet drain without knowing there was already sodium hypochlorite there. For some strange reason, after flushing down once, it became even more clogged and it's still all lying there. I closed the door in fear of inhaling toxic fumes. I cannot find anything on the possible reactions caused by this mixture and am too scared to go inside until I know the reaction and it's possible health effects. I could find nothing whatsoever on google or anywhere else. Thank you in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Unless your toilet has something like a small toy or a feminine hygeine product lodged in it, you can just wait it out. The best thing to soften the usual toilet-related clogs is HOT WATER. Add it a bucket at a time and let the water level drop down as low as it will go before you add the second or third bucketful for best results. Patience is a virtue... as are stool softeners.

What happens when Dettol and Bleach are mixed together?

When Dettol and Bleach are mixed together, a chemical reaction occurs. This reaction produces chlorine gas and a mixture of other toxic chemicals that can be harmful to inhale or come into contact with.

Is it dangerous to mix Dettol and Bleach?

Yes, it is very dangerous to mix Dettol and Bleach together. The resulting mixture can release harmful fumes and cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. It can also lead to serious health issues if ingested.

Why is it dangerous to mix Dettol and Bleach?

Dettol and Bleach contain different active ingredients that can react with each other and form new chemicals. These chemicals can be highly toxic and can lead to serious health consequences, such as chemical burns, lung damage, and even death.

What should I do if I accidentally mix Dettol and Bleach?

If you accidentally mix Dettol and Bleach, leave the area immediately and get some fresh air. If you have come into contact with the mixture, wash the affected area with plenty of water. If you experience any symptoms such as difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.

Can mixing Dettol and Bleach create a disinfectant stronger than either product alone?

No, mixing Dettol and Bleach does not create a stronger disinfectant. In fact, it can create a mixture that is less effective in killing bacteria and germs due to the chemical reaction that occurs between the two products. It is always recommended to use each product separately according to their instructions for optimal disinfection.