Where gems are found in the world

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a graphic or map that shows which countries produce different types of gems. The conversation includes a list of online sources and a specific map that was found to meet the request.
Does anyone have a graphic of a world map that shows what countries produce certain gems. I know Colombia has the most emeralds and west africa has the diamonds. I'm curious about the other gems.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Does anyone have a graphic of a world map that shows what countries produce certain gems. I know Colombia has the most emeralds and west africa has the diamonds. I'm curious about the other gems.
Here is a list, it's not a world map. I think I know an Atlas that had that, if I can find it.

http://www.classicgems.net/info_Country.htm

Here is a world map, but it only lists a few of the more expensive gems.

http://www.realgems.org/gemstone_deposits/pic/gems_map.jpg

Did you only want free online sources?

Last edited:

1. Where are the most gemstones found in the world?

The most gemstones are found in Africa, with countries such as South Africa, Tanzania, and Mozambique being major sources. Other countries with significant gemstone deposits include Brazil, India, and Australia.

2. What types of gemstones can be found in the United States?

The United States has a variety of gemstones, including diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, opals, and garnets. Some states known for specific gemstones include Arkansas for diamonds, Montana for sapphires, and North Carolina for rubies and emeralds.

3. Are gemstones only found in mines?

No, gemstones can also be found in other natural settings such as rivers, beaches, and even in volcanic areas. These gemstones are often deposited there through erosion or volcanic activity.

4. Can you find gemstones in every country?

Gemstones can be found in many countries around the world, but some countries have more abundant deposits than others. In general, gemstones are found in areas with geological conditions that are favorable for their formation, such as volcanic activity or the presence of specific minerals.

5. Are gemstones rare?

Some gemstones, such as diamonds, are considered rare due to their limited availability and high demand. Other gemstones, like quartz and amethyst, are more abundant and therefore not as rare. However, the rarity of a gemstone also depends on its quality, size, and other factors.