Truss analysis using method of joints

In summary: After correctly solving the reactions, then identify the zero force members if you can. Then proceed to the easiest joints first.
jaxta
The question is to calculate the forces ina ll members of the trussnby method of joints.

First i have calculated the reaction forces for A and B by taking the moment from both these points.
These came too: Ay=25N and By=25N

I do not know where to go from here, what point should i analyse first, i tried analysing point H however i am not sure how i should go about this, is F_hj equal to zero. and would CH equal to the force of AC.

Please help i am lost. i just need to know how to start, so maybe could you just help me solve two points and i can probably finish the rest. thank you for your time.

Attachments

• TRUSS.png
    TRUSS.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jaxta said:
The question is to calculate the forces ina ll members of the trussnby method of joints.

First i have calculated the reaction forces for A and B by taking the moment from both these points.
These came too: Ay=25N and By=25N
This can't be right; the total applied forces add up to 120 N down, so the sum of the reaction forces must sum to 120 N up. You did your moment equation incorrectly.Try summing moments first about A and then about B
I do not know where to go from here, what point should i analyse first, i tried analysing point H however i am not sure how i should go about this, is F_hj equal to zero.
yes
and would CH equal to the force of CH.
If F_hj is zero, then what must F_ch be equal to?
Please help i am lost. i just need to know how to start, so maybe could you just help me solve two points and i can probably finish the rest. thank you for your time.
After correctly solving the reactions, then identify the zero force members if you can. Then proceed to the easiest joints first. The sum of forces at any joint must always be zero in the x and y directions.

thanks for your quick response.
so F_ch must equal zero as well.
i redid my calculations for the reaction forces and i got Ay=65N and By=55N.
Also could somebody give me an example on how to analyse one of the joints because i don't really know how to go about it.

Last edited:
ok if F_hj does equal to zero, i think i have figured out how to continue, could someone please analyse joint c. would the sum of the forces in the x direction be F_cd + F_cj cos45 and the sum in the y direction be F_ch -F_cj sin45 - 65N ?

thanks for your quick response.
so F_ch must equal zero as well.
i redid my calculations for the reaction forces and i got Ay=65N and By=55N.
Also could somebody give me an example on how to analyse one of the joints because i don't really know how to go about it.

ok if F_hj does equal to zero, i think i have figured out how to continue, could someone please analyse joint c. would the sum of the forces in the x direction be F_cd + F_cj cos45 and the sum in the y direction be F_ch -F_cj sin45 - 65N ?

oopps sorry for the double posts, how do i delete them

jaxta said:
Yes, and those sums are equal to zero. Be sure to watch plus and minus signs and directions of forces. Remember that fch is 0.

Thank you, I have figured it all out. However i am having trouble with the next part of the question which says to check EK, KL and KF using method of sections. When doing this do i only use the external forces?

jaxta said:
Thank you, I have figured it all out. However i am having trouble with the next part of the question which says to check EK, KL and KF using method of sections. When doing this do i only use the external forces?
When using the method of sections, you must use all external forces and reactions and internal forces at the cut section as identified in your free body diagram of the left or right truss section . (The force in EK should be quickly evident).

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the forces in each member of a truss using the method of joints?

To determine the forces in each member of a truss using the method of joints, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the truss. Then, you can start analyzing each joint individually by drawing a free body diagram and applying the equations of static equilibrium. This will allow you to solve for the forces in each member.

2. What are the assumptions made when using the method of joints for truss analysis?

The main assumptions made when using the method of joints are that the truss is perfectly rigid, the joints are pinned and can only transmit forces, and all external loads are applied at the joints. These assumptions simplify the analysis and allow for the determination of the forces in each member.

3. Can the method of joints be used for any type of truss?

Yes, the method of joints can be used for any type of truss as long as it satisfies the assumptions mentioned above. It is a versatile method that can be applied to both simple and complex truss structures.

4. How do you determine the direction of the forces in each member using the method of joints?

The direction of the forces in each member can be determined by looking at the direction of the external loads and the geometry of the truss. If the member is in tension, the force will be pulling away from the joint, and if it is in compression, the force will be pushing towards the joint.

5. Can the method of joints be used to determine the reactions at the supports?

No, the method of joints only allows for the determination of the forces in each member of the truss. To determine the reactions at the supports, you will need to use the equations of static equilibrium and consider the entire truss structure as a whole.