Mass placed on moving conveyer , calculating for the slide of mass

• Thread starter jatin1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Slide
In summary, the question is asking about the behavior of a heavy block of mass m being placed on a conveyer belt with speed v and a coefficient of friction u. The block will initially slide on the belt and eventually stop sliding, reaching a speed of v. The maximum horizontal force and acceleration of the block need to be determined, along with the distance it will travel on the belt to reach a speed of v.
jatin1990

Homework Statement

A heavy block of mass m is slowly placed on a conveyer belt moving with speed v. If coefficient of friction between block and the belt is u (mu), the block will slide on the belt through distance ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not able to understand this question, please help me to understand and show me way to get command over this type questions.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jatin1990! :smile:
jatin1990 said:
A heavy block of mass m is slowly placed on a conveyer belt moving with speed v. If coefficient of friction between block and the belt is u (mu), the block will slide on the belt through distance ?

i am not able to understand this question …

the block starts with speed 0

at first, it will slide on the belt, in other words its speed will be less than v

eventually, its speed will equal v, and it will stop sliding

so you need to find the maximum horizontal force on the block, and the maximum acceleration

how far will the block travel on the belt to go from speed 0 to speed v with that acceleration? :smile:

1. How do I calculate the slide of mass on a moving conveyor?

To calculate the slide of mass on a moving conveyor, you will need to know the mass of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the conveyor belt, and the speed of the conveyor belt. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: F = μmg, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This will give you the force of friction acting on the object. You can then use this value to determine the acceleration and ultimately the slide of the mass.

2. What factors affect the slide of mass on a moving conveyor?

The slide of mass on a moving conveyor can be affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction, the mass of the object, the speed of the conveyor belt, and the angle of the conveyor belt. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and surface conditions can also play a role in the slide of mass.

3. How can I reduce the slide of mass on a moving conveyor?

To reduce the slide of mass on a moving conveyor, you can decrease the speed of the conveyor belt, increase the coefficient of friction between the object and the belt, or decrease the mass of the object. You can also adjust the angle of the conveyor belt to reduce the slide of mass. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the conveyor belt can also help to reduce the slide of mass.

4. What are some potential safety concerns when dealing with moving conveyors and mass placement?

Some potential safety concerns when dealing with moving conveyors and mass placement include the risk of the mass sliding off the conveyor belt and causing injury or damage. It is important to properly secure the mass and ensure that the conveyor belt is functioning correctly before placing the mass onto it. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate personal protective equipment when working with moving conveyors.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the slide of mass on a moving conveyor?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the slide of mass on a moving conveyor. One method is to use the concept of work and energy, where the work done by the force of friction is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. You can also use equations of motion to calculate the slide of mass. However, the formula F = μmg is commonly used and provides an accurate estimation of the slide of mass on a moving conveyor.