'Kinetic movement': does that make sense?

• Thread starter Superman514
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, classical language fails when trying to describe quantum mechanics and the use of the word "kinetic" is redundant and makes the description sound strange.
Superman514
Hello there,

I was not sure if this belonged in the Classical Physics forum or the General Physics forum, so my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

This topic is part physics and part linguistics. An acquaintance (someone who has never studied beyond basic high school physics) recently use the terms 'kinetic movement' and 'kinetic motion'. It sounded odd, and somewhat redundant. Kinematics is the study of motion, after all. It's kind of like saying 'big giant' or 'funny joker'. Not only that, but 'kinetic' used as an adjective for movement also sounds odd. It is the adjective form of the noun 'kinesis' which literally means motion/movement. The common use for kinetic is 'kinetic energy', or energy that is the result of motion, and not the other way around.

I'm not an expert of either physics or the English language, so I was hoping someone on this forum would have some insightful words on the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only 'insight' I can offer is that your instinct seems correct. 'Kinetic movement' seems redundant and I've never heard such a phrase used (correctly) in a physics context. Sounds like a sloppy, made-up term. :smile:

I agree with Doc Al that it is redundant classically, and even though this is the classical section it stands pointing out that if we go to quantum mechanics, the phrase "kinetic movement" is even worse than redundant because it suggests there are multiple forms of movement, only some of which would be considered "kinetic." But in quantum mechanics it is the other way around, there are forms of kinetic energy that don't connect to "movement" in the sense that they don't involve changing the likelihood of where the particle will be found. A classic example is an electron in an atom in its ground state-- such an electron is "stationary" in the sense that none of the likelihoods of any observation you can do on it (including position) will change with time, yet even so, it has an enormous amount of kinetic energy. Such a particle is in the bizarre state of having a zero expectation value of its vector momentum, but a nonzero expectation value of the magnitude of its momentum! Classical language fails us, but you might be tempted to conclude such an electron is "kinetic" without "moving", so there is such a thing as non-motional kinetics rather than non-kinetic motion.

Last edited:

1. What is kinetic movement?

Kinetic movement refers to the motion of objects caused by energy. This energy can be in the form of heat, light, or any other type of energy that can cause movement.

2. How does kinetic movement work?

Kinetic movement works by converting energy into motion. When an object absorbs energy, its molecules start moving faster and this causes the object to move. The faster the molecules move, the more kinetic energy the object will have.

3. What are some examples of kinetic movement?

Some common examples of kinetic movement include a ball rolling down a hill, a person running, and a car driving. Other examples can include a pendulum swinging, a fan spinning, and a rocket launching into space.

4. How is kinetic movement different from potential movement?

Kinetic movement is the movement of objects caused by energy, while potential movement refers to the stored energy in an object that has the potential to cause movement. For example, a stretched rubber band has potential movement because it can snap back into its original shape and release energy.

5. What are the real-world applications of kinetic movement?

Kinetic movement has many real-world applications, such as in transportation (cars, trains, airplanes), generating electricity (wind turbines, hydroelectric dams), and manufacturing (conveyor belts, assembly lines). It is also important in understanding and studying the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and physics.