Force on Current Carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a horizontal power line, a current of 5000A, and Earth's magnetic field. The person is trying to find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on the line, but is confused about the calculations and the angle involved. They eventually realize their mistake and solve the problem.
Andromeda321
For the life of me I can't seem to get the right answer for this problem!
A horizontal power line carries a current of 5000A from south to north. Earth's magnetic field (60.0 microT) is directed toward the north and inclined downward at 70.0 degrees to the horizontal. Find the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the magnetic force on the 100m of the line due to Earth's field.
So here's what I've been thinking so far: first off you're using F=iLxB here where your L vector's going to point in the j direction. By this point I've sufficiently confused myself to the point where I'm not sure if you need a sin(70) for the j direction or not... hmmmm. I'm pretty confident that I can cross the vectors alright which sort of implies I've messed up somewhere else, I'm thinking maybe my B vector...
Any advice would be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what L and i are, but yes, sin(70) will be useful.

Ah ok, figured out what I was doing wrong (it's supposed to be an angle of 20 degrees instead of 70... *bangs head*). So all's well that ends well.

1. What is the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field created by the current and an external magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the external magnetic field.

2. How is the force on a current-carrying wire calculated?

The force on a current-carrying wire can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sinθ, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the strength of the external magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the wire and the external magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is affected by the strength of the external magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, the length of the wire, and the angle between the wire and the external magnetic field. The force is directly proportional to the current and the strength of the magnetic field, and is inversely proportional to the length of the wire.

4. In which direction does the force act on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire always acts perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the external magnetic field. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm indicates the direction of the force.

5. What are the practical applications of the force on a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is utilized in various technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices like loudspeakers and headphones, where the force is used to create motion and produce sound.