Which Atmosphere Unit Should I Use for Lab Calculations: Technical or Standard?

Hg to atmospheres for a lab calculation and is wondering which option, technical or standard, to use on an online converter. The standard option (1 atm = 101325 Pa) is recommended.
ThomasMagnus

Homework Statement

Hi. I am currently doing a lab where I need to convert mm Hg to atmospheres. When I try to use an online converter to do this, it gives two options for atmospheres, technical and standard. Which would be the best to use for a laboratory calculation?

http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

Thanks!

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never come across the unit "technical atmosphere." So unless the adjective "technical" is there, always take "atmospheres" to be the standard kind, with the abbreviated symbol atm, and with 1 atm = 101325 Pa.

According to wikipedia technical atmosphere is exactly 1 kg force over 1 square cm.

1 at = 98.0665 kPa

Go for the one standard one.

760 mm Hg = 1 atm.

Chet

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I would recommend using the standard atmosphere (atm) for your laboratory calculation. This is the most commonly used unit for pressure in scientific research and is based on the average atmospheric pressure at sea level. The technical atmosphere (at) is used more in industrial and engineering applications. It is important to use the same unit as your lab partners or in your lab manual to ensure consistent and accurate results. I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

1. What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit to another. This is often necessary when working with different measurement systems or when comparing data from different sources.

2. Why is unit conversion important in science?

Unit conversion is important in science because it allows for accurate and precise measurements and comparisons. Without proper unit conversions, data can be misinterpreted and experiments may produce incorrect results.

3. How do you convert between different units?

To convert between different units, you can use conversion factors or dimensional analysis. This involves multiplying the original value by a conversion factor that represents the relationship between the two units.

4. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force applied per unit area. In science, it is often measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

5. How is pressure related to unit conversions?

Pressure can be converted between different units, such as from Pa to psi, using conversion factors. It is important to use the correct units when calculating pressure to ensure accurate results.