Does swallowing cause satiation?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, eating tasty food is mainly about satisfying the stomach and removing hunger. The pleasure comes from the combination of tasting the food and then swallowing it.
leroyjenkens
I was just thinking about food and realized the taste of food doesn't really mean much to us. Just putting food in our mouths, tasting it for however long we want, and then spitting it out, we don't get much pleasure out of that. The majority of the pleasure of eating tasty food comes from actually swallowing the food. Is there something in the back of our throats that triggers the pleasure sensation?

Biology news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I was just thinking about food and realized the taste of food doesn't really mean much to us. Just putting food in our mouths, tasting it for however long we want, and then spitting it out, we don't get much pleasure out of that. The majority of the pleasure of eating tasty food comes from actually swallowing the food. Is there something in the back of our throats that triggers the pleasure sensation?
I imagine it's the satisfying feeling of your stomach feeling full and removing hunger. AFAIK, the throat has nothing to do with the pleasure from the taste and mouth sensations or the relief from hunger.

leroyjenkens said:

I know what you mean. Maybe it's the anticipation of satiation? Food texture is very, very important, too.

leroyjenkens said:
I was just thinking about food and realized the taste of food doesn't really mean much to us.
Tell that to a person who has lost the sense of taste/smell, they do not enjoy food anymore.

I think taste and texture is the most important thing, maybe a reason why I eat so slowly. Others just shove food down in a swallow, what a waste..

I imagine it's the satisfying feeling of your stomach feeling full and removing hunger. AFAIK, the throat has nothing to do with the pleasure from the taste and mouth sensations or the relief from hunger.
But with each bite of food, let's say a cake, if you just put some in your mouth, chewed it up while tasting it, and then spit it out after a little bit, it doesn't seem to have much effect. It's when you actually swallow it that it seems like endorphins are then released.
Maybe it's the combination of tasting the food and then swallowing it that actually causes a release of endorphins.
Tell that to a person who has lost the sense of taste/smell, they do not enjoy food anymore.
Not at all? You can test my taste hypothesis yourself by just putting a food you really like in your mouth, chewing it up and spitting it out after a bit. For me, I get almost no satisfaction out of that. It's only when the food is swallowed that I actually get that good feeling that it brings.
Or maybe it's just me and I'm a weirdo.
but then I just end up eating them all in their most natural form.
In Newton form?

leroyjenkens said:
But with each bite of food, let's say a cake, if you just put some in your mouth, chewed it up while tasting it, and then spit it out after a little bit, it doesn't seem to have much effect. It's when you actually swallow it that it seems like endorphins are then released.
Maybe it's the combination of tasting the food and then swallowing it that actually causes a release of endorphins.

Not at all? You can test my taste hypothesis yourself by just putting a food you really like in your mouth, chewing it up and spitting it out after a bit. For me, I get almost no satisfaction out of that. It's only when the food is swallowed that I actually get that good feeling that it brings.
Or maybe it's just me and I'm a weirdo.

In Newton form?
Leroy, I'm afraid you're going to have to post some legitimate study in an acceptable peer reviewed journal about swallowing. Swallowing, IMO has nothing to do with anything. It's taste and filling the stomach, AFAIK. But it's up to you to prove it's swallowing since you are claiming it.

You can test my taste hypothesis yourself by just putting a food you really like in your mouth, chewing it up and spitting it out after a bit. For me, I get almost no satisfaction out of that. It's only when the food is swallowed that I actually get that good feeling that it brings.
Spitting out good food is just plain wrong, you are doing something that your body is not expecting. Bad food should be spit out, good food should be swallowed. By spitting food out, your body could react as if the food was bad.

It's like the psychological experiment where involuntary smiling (by holding a pencil in the mouth a certain way) causes people to be more positive. Action>reaction.

1. What is satiation?

Satiation is the feeling of fullness and satisfaction that occurs after eating enough food to meet our body's energy and nutrient needs.

2. Can swallowing alone cause satiation?

No, swallowing alone does not cause satiation. Satiation is a complex process that involves multiple factors such as the type and amount of food consumed, sensory cues, and hormonal signals.

3. Does slowing down the pace of swallowing affect satiation?

Yes, slowing down the pace of swallowing can affect satiation. Eating slowly allows for better digestion and gives the body time to register feelings of fullness, which can lead to eating less and feeling more satisfied.

4. Is there a link between the number of chews and satiation?

Yes, there is a link between the number of chews and satiation. Chewing food thoroughly breaks it down into smaller particles, making it easier for the body to digest and absorb nutrients. This can lead to a feeling of fullness and satiation.

5. How does the brain play a role in satiation?

The brain plays a crucial role in satiation by receiving and processing sensory cues from food, hormones, and gut signals. It also regulates appetite and sends signals to stop eating when the body has consumed enough energy and nutrients.