Light Bulb Temperatures: Home vs Office

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightbulb
In summary, the higher the colour temperature (measured in Kelvin, but nothing to do with the actual bulb temperature), the bluer the light it gives off. So the 3100K ish or the 5500K ish will produce the normal home-type yellow light.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So i was checking out some lightbulbs a while back and i noticed they had these numbers on it. One type had the number... it was like 3100K and the other was 5500K or so. Are these the temperatures corrposponding to the blackbody radiation associated with those temperatures? I know there's 2 types of lightbulbs generally... the whiteish type (or well, i mean the color of light given off) you see in offices and the yellowish you see at home. Now the thing is... the whiteish type... i thought white light was just the combining of light? How could it have a temperature associated with it? Any help on all this would be .. helpful :D Plus does anyone know which, the 3100K ish or the 5500K ish will produce the normal home-type yellow light?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
http://www.bulbman.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=34 [Broken]

Look under "color temperature" there's a nice chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet thanks

The temperatures you have seen refer to the colour temperatures of the light given off.

These values are of particular interest to photographers, who will need to know what sort of film to use such that their pictures look like the original scene did.

The higher the colour temperatures (measured in Kelvin, but nothing to do with the actual bulb temperature), the bluer the light it gives off.

Normal incandescent bulbs operate at around 2900K, which as we know is a kind of yellowish colour. 'Warm white' fluorescent tubes are around 3500K, which are a pale yellowy white. "Cool white" is around 4100K, which is an almost greeny yellow. 'Daylight' bulbs range from 5500K to 6500K; the upper end being bluish. Sunlight is said to be around 5000K, and daylight up to 7500K.

Anyway, that's my knowledge from my photography days, perhaps someone can put some more science into this.

Edit: Dammit, Fred beat me to it...

brewnog said:
The temperatures you have seen refer to the colour temperatures of the light given off
But does the colour temperature have anything to do with how far it will make a coin jump? :tongue:

Danger said:
But does the colour temperature have anything to do with how far it will make a coin jump? :tongue:

Oh, I forgot all about that! We'll have to work on that more when I've finished exams...

brewnog said:
Oh, I forgot all about that! We'll have to work on that more when I've finished exams...
Good! I've thought about reviving that thread a couple of times, just to make sure that someone eventually tells me what's going on.

1. What is the difference between light bulb temperatures in a home versus an office?

The main difference between light bulb temperatures in a home versus an office is the type of lighting used. Homes typically use incandescent or LED bulbs, while offices often use fluorescent or LED bulbs. These different types of bulbs have varying color temperatures, which can affect the overall temperature of the light emitted.

2. What is color temperature?

Color temperature is a measurement of the color appearance of a light source. It is measured in degrees Kelvin (K) and refers to the color of light emitted by a light source when it is heated to a certain temperature. Lower color temperatures (2700K-3000K) appear warm and yellowish, while higher color temperatures (5000K-6500K) appear cool and bluish.

3. Why do offices use different light bulb temperatures compared to homes?

Offices typically use fluorescent or LED bulbs because they are more energy-efficient and cost-effective. These types of bulbs also have a higher color temperature, which can help improve focus and productivity in work environments. In contrast, homes tend to use warmer light temperatures to create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere.

4. How does light bulb temperature affect our mood and productivity?

Studies have shown that light bulb temperature can have a significant impact on our mood and productivity. Cool light temperatures (5000K-6500K) have been shown to increase alertness and focus, making them ideal for workplaces. Warm light temperatures (2700K-3000K) can create a more relaxed and comforting atmosphere, which may be beneficial for homes or relaxation spaces.

5. Can light bulb temperatures be adjusted to suit different needs?

Yes, light bulb temperatures can be adjusted to suit different needs. For example, if you want a more relaxing atmosphere in your office, you can use warmer light temperatures. Some bulbs also have the ability to change color temperatures, allowing you to adjust the lighting based on your needs and preferences.