Plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z)

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the process of translating and rotating a plane in a coordinate system involves using projective coordinates and matrices. Translation is not a linear transformation and cannot be written as a matrix multiplication in an ordinary 2 or 3 dimensional coordinate system. Adding a fourth coordinate, w, allows for translation using a matrix. Rotations can be done using a 3 by 3 matrix and rotating through an angle t about the z-axis. It may be necessary to "renormalize" in some operations. The equations provided for translation and rotation appear to be correct. To project a grid on the axes numerically, there may be equations that can be used.
laminatedevildoll
If I have a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z).. et ceteraa in a coordinate system, how do I translate and rotate it to a new coordinate system orthogonal to it. In other words, do I use the equations/matrices involving sines and cosines to translate the plane?

For instance...

I am not sure if I am doing this right, but do I add a fourth axis (x,y,z,w) and use a matrix to rotate it and transform it? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Translation" in an ordinary 2 or 3 dimensional coordinate system is not a linear transformation (because it does not map (0,0,0) to itself) and cannot be written as a matrix multiplication. You can, however, use "projective" coordinates. That is, as you said, adding a fourth coordinate, w, (not a fourth axis). For example, to translate a point (x,y,z) by <0, 3, -2> (that is (x,y,z) becomes (x,y+3, z-2)). Write the point as (x,y,z,1) and multiply By the matrix
[1 0 0 0][x]
[0 1 0 3][y]
[0 1 0-2][z]
[0 0 0 1][1]
Rotations, about (0,0,0) would use the upper left 3 by 3 area:
[cos t -sin t 0 0] [x]
[sin t cos t 0 0] [y]
[0 0 1 0] [z]
[0 0 0 1] [1]
rotates through an angle t about the z-axis.
In some operations it may be necessary to "renormalize": you may get something like (u, v, w, a) where a is not 1 and must divide each component by a to get back to (x, y, z, 1).

HallsofIvy said:
"Translation" in an ordinary 2 or 3 dimensional coordinate system is not a linear transformation (because it does not map (0,0,0) to itself) and cannot be written as a matrix multiplication. You can, however, use "projective" coordinates. That is, as you said, adding a fourth coordinate, w, (not a fourth axis). For example, to translate a point (x,y,z) by <0, 3, -2> (that is (x,y,z) becomes (x,y+3, z-2)). Write the point as (x,y,z,1) and multiply By the matrix
[1 0 0 0][x]
[0 1 0 3][y]
[0 1 0-2][z]
[0 0 0 1][1]
Rotations, about (0,0,0) would use the upper left 3 by 3 area:
[cos t -sin t 0 0] [x]
[sin t cos t 0 0] [y]
[0 0 1 0] [z]
[0 0 0 1] [1]
rotates through an angle t about the z-axis.
In some operations it may be necessary to "renormalize": you may get something like (u, v, w, a) where a is not 1 and must divide each component by a to get back to (x, y, z, 1).

Okay, so this is how I did it.
I have Point P(x,y,z), and I have to rotate it around the z axis. To find the new x,y,z points I use the following equations

X' = xcos(alpha) + ysin(alpha)
Y' = -xsin(alpha) + ycos(alpha)

where alpha is the angle between x and X'

Then, I have to rotate the point around the X' axis...

angle beta is the angle from Y' to normal of X'

Y'' = Y'cos(beta) + Z'sin(beta)
Z'' = -Y"sin(beta) + Z'cos(beta)
X'' = X'

P(X'',Y'',Z'') is the end result. Are my equations correct?

Basically, I had to rotate some global coordinate axis to a local coordinate axis.

global
y
^
|
|
|
|
._ _ _ _ _ _ > x
z (pointing out of the page)

local
z''
^
|
|
|
|
._ _ _ _ _ _ > y''
x'' (pointing out of the page)

Furthermore, are there any equations I can use to project a grid on the axes numerically?

Thank you

Last edited:

1. What is a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z)?

A plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) refers to a three-dimensional geometric shape with four vertices or corners that are located in different positions along the x, y, and z axes. This shape is commonly used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to create realistic objects and environments.

2. How is a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) different from a regular plane?

A regular plane is a two-dimensional shape that extends infinitely in all directions. In contrast, a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) has a defined thickness and can be viewed from different angles, giving it a more realistic appearance. This type of plane is often used in 3D graphics to create solid objects.

3. What are the properties of a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z)?

The main properties of a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) include its four vertices, which determine the shape and size of the plane, and its three-dimensional nature, which allows for rotation and viewing from different angles. Additionally, this type of plane also has a defined thickness and can intersect with other 3D shapes.

4. How is a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) can be used to create 3D models of complex structures, such as proteins, DNA, or geological formations. These models can provide a better understanding of the shape and properties of these structures, which can aid in further research and experimentation.

5. Can a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) be represented mathematically?

Yes, a plane with four corner 3-D (x,y,z) can be represented mathematically using equations and coordinates. The x, y, and z coordinates of each vertex can be determined and used to calculate the dimensions and orientation of the plane. This mathematical representation is useful for creating precise and accurate 3D models in computer graphics.