Is there an optimal time/way to post?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
In summary, it is generally a bad idea to bump threads, but it's sometimes necessary in order to get people's attention.
dkotschessaa
I seem to be the king of dead threads. I know this is a very busy forum, and threads can get buried. Is there an optimal time to post that people are more likely to see them? Is it bad etiquette to "bump" threads so they will be seen? (I've bumped one thread with no results, and I hesitate to do it again).

There are so many brilliant and talented people here who I know can answer some of my questions (Even if the answer is "no", "you're nuts," etc.) so it's frustrating that my threads die faster than a redshirt.

-DaveK

p.s. or is it just me? I ramble...

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on where you are in the world you may be unlucky, I've found that I can post something in the UK that won't get any responses throughout the day until at some point around mid-afternoon they get a rapid pace of responses. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the people further east than me finishing work and the people to the west (namely those across the atlantic who make up the majority of members) waking up.

Bumping more than once and before 24 hours have ellapsed is against the rules. Personally I find that bumping can sometimes make a poster appear a bit rude but that's really down to context.

General advice would be to make very clear and concise opening posts (if people are confronted with rambling paragraphs or walls of text they are unlikely to be interested) and descriptive thread titles. Other than that it's down to luck that your subject is interesting and happens to be seen by people who feel they can answer!

Yeah, I waited a couple days before the first bump, and didn't do it again. Didn't want to look desperate. I think I'm being pretty patient, and I don't think it's anybody's fault. Just frustrating.

I probably need to work on my posting style.

I'm certain it's nothing malicious. Often it could be that no one who feels comfortable answering has seen it or has time to respond (and may forget even if they have seen it).

You're probably talking about this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=594879

I don't think you did anything wrong, but I can see why it got no responses. The reason is that I don't think there are many people on this forum who do or have done research in the history of mathematics. I did see your thread and if I knew an answer then I would certainly have answered it.

So you did nothing wrong, it's just that nobody here knows an answer to your question.

Aside (not for you, but for others who might bump very fast): bumping your threads is not a good idea. The thing is that more people will click on a thread that has no responses than on a thread which already had a response. So the longer your thread had no response, the more people read it.

micromass said:
The thing is that more people will click on a thread that has no responses than on a thread which already had a response. So the longer your thread had no response, the more people read it.
Ooh good point. Also if people click the "get posts" button on the banner at the top of every screen they can select "no replies" to bring up every thread.

micromass said:
You're probably talking about this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=594879

I don't think you did anything wrong, but I can see why it got no responses. The reason is that I don't think there are many people on this forum who do or have done research in the history of mathematics. I did see your thread and if I knew an answer then I would certainly have answered it.

So you did nothing wrong, it's just that nobody here knows an answer to your question.

Well that thread is one example. (Actually did get some replies after this. Perhaps people saw *this* thread and felt sorry for me and checked. Now I'm getting replies. lol)

It's just that there's so many people around here I thought somebody would have some idea. I just assumed they were getting lost in the fray, but what you say here...

Aside (not for you, but for others who might bump very fast): bumping your threads is not a good idea. The thing is that more people will click on a thread that has no responses than on a thread which already had a response. So the longer your thread had no response, the more people read it.

That's a good point. It's just hard not too, sometimes.

Some of my dead threads are not "single posts" but just ones that have died, where i was expecting more conversation. Sometimes I feel like I kill them. Like I walk into a party and say something awkward and everybody stops talking. I think I'm taking this too personally. lol

Thanks all.

-DaveK

hey me also got the problem...Its 3 days past but no answer to my question...feel its so dead..what am i do now ?
:( :(

shalikadm said:
hey me also got the problem...Its 3 days past but no answer to my question...feel its so dead..what am i do now ?
:( :(

You seem to have started two recent threads in the homework forums. One of them was answered, and since the one-word answer was "yes" you probably won't get any more replies unless you explain better what you don't understand.

For the other one, you asked for the answers but you didn't show any attempt to solve the problem yourself. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

AlephZero said:
You seem to have started two recent threads in the homework forums. One of them was answered, and since the one-word answer was "yes" you probably won't get any more replies unless you explain better what you don't understand.
Any way in the recent question I asked seems ok with the details.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=598757
I have explained it in my best I think..Its about a small theory about SHM,not so hard one...
Help me...

shalikadm said:
Any way in the recent question I asked seems ok with the details.
I have explained it in my best I think..Its about a small theory about SHM,not so hard one...
Help me...

But according to the Physics Forums Global Guidelines,

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

dlgoff said:
NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.[/URL],
Well.Before starting that thread,I just thought where it should be under "Homework & Coursework Questions" or under "General Physics".As they gave me an infraction on a thread I started. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3830995#post3830995
I understood that the way I asked the question is spoiling PF's spirits.(but it was too late. :| )
[reasons:posting on the wrong place and not showing that I have attempted]
Being afraid to get an infraction again on the forum,I decided to put in homework section.
But I had to remove the automatically generated template as this time I'm not putting a question given by a teacher...I wanted to know a theory based thing that make me stuck in my homeworks..Now I think that it was better if I put that on "General Physics"
see my dead thread...:(
If u can answer it just help me..thanks I'm heart-broken..(not that much but...only 3 months for my exam that decide whether I'm suitable for higher education)
thanks ! (don't take this as rude)

shalikadm said:
Well.Before starting that thread,I just thought where it should be under "Homework & Coursework Questions" or under "General Physics".As they gave me an infraction on a thread I started. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3830995#post3830995
I understood that the way I asked the question is spoiling PF's spirits.(but it was too late. :| )
[reasons:posting on the wrong place and not showing that I have attempted]
Being afraid to get an infraction again on the forum,I decided to put in homework section.
But I had to remove the automatically generated template as this time I'm not putting a question given by a teacher...I wanted to know a theory based thing that make me stuck in my homeworks..Now I think that it was better if I put that on "General Physics"
see my dead thread...:(
If u can answer it just help me..thanks I'm heart-broken..(not that much but...only 3 months for my exam that decide whether I'm suitable for higher education)
thanks ! (don't take this as rude)

No, your thread is fine in the homework sections. But the rules on the forum are clear:

1) You must follow the homework template
2) You must make an effort on solving the problem

If you don't do these (especially (2)), then you WILL NOT get help here.

I have deleted your thread right now, but you are welcome to post again if you meet the requirements

(Also, please do not use text speak such as "u" instead of "you")

hmm...ok..
Going to try again..thanks for being kind !

Another lone thread adopted by caring PF forum members.

(Plays Sarah Mclaughlin, and shows pictures of all the unanswered threads)

"in the aarrrms offf the angels..."

You can respond to an unanswered thread today. Just click on "Get Posts" and "No Replies."

[shows images of sad PF members checking their subscriptions and hitting refresh]Adopt a thread today...

dkotschessaa said:
Another lone thread adopted by caring PF forum members.

(Plays Sarah Mclaughlin, and shows pictures of all the unanswered threads)

"in the aarrrms offf the angels..."

You can respond to an unanswered thread today. Just click on "Get Posts" and "No Replies."

[shows images of sad PF members checking their subscriptions and hitting refresh]

Adopt a thread today...

anyway this time,someone has seen my homework request...He just started helping me...Now waiting till he is online again...hmm...let's see..

How long does the EDIT facility stay available on a PF post, please?

I've searched but cannot find the answer.

Is it 24 hours?

I've posted in a slow meeting, thinking I'd be able to progress to a conclusion during it! Now it's hotted up!

So I'd like to know the latest that I can return to EDIT (i.e., improve a post), from the time of posting.

Or else, just DELETE it; which I'd like to avoid.

Thank you.

Gordon Watson said:
How long does the EDIT facility stay available on a PF post, please?

I've searched but cannot find the answer.

Is it 24 hours?

I've posted in a slow meeting, thinking I'd be able to progress to a conclusion during it! Now it's hotted up!

So I'd like to know the latest that I can return to EDIT (i.e., improve a post), from the time of posting.

Or else, just DELETE it; which I'd like to avoid.

Thank you.

See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=590614 for the time limit and some explanations as to why.

Please: What time is allowed to work on a post before you are "timed out ("token expired" I believe is the term)? Thanks.

PS: As I see it: It means you lose what you've drafted! It can't be recovered: Or can it?

Gordon Watson said:
Please: What time is allowed to work on a post before you are "timed out ("token expired" I believe is the term)? Thanks.

PS: As I see it: It means you lose what you've drafted! It can't be recovered: Or can it?
When you log in make sure you tick the remember me box and you'll never have this problem. Because I always do this I don't have this problem so don't know how long you have.

Ryan_m_b said:
When you log in make sure you tick the remember me box and you'll never have this problem. Because I always do this I don't have this problem so don't know how long you have.

Thanks Ryan, thanks for quick reply: BUT I'm sure that I'm permanently logged in! That is, when I come to PF each day, it says, "Welcome, Gordon Watson" and tells me when I last logged in.

Here's what happened: I was working on a long detailed post, and was called away for a few hours (thinking my intermittent draft-post was safe). When I came back -- BANG! Timed out ("token something" message = big loss) -- and the PF message about back-button was wrong because it just kept repeating the same message.

SO I'm thinking you maybe have not been on to the same extreme as I: And that there is a good limit, not infinite?

Gordon

If you checked the "Remember Me" box, then you should never log out. Are you certain you checked the box??

In any case, it's safe to say that you should try to compose your posts in a text editor so it doesn't get lost.

micromass said:
If you checked the "Remember Me" box, then you should never log out. Are you certain you checked the box??

In any case, it's safe to say that you should try to compose your posts in a text editor so it doesn't get lost.

Yes, I'm certain. And I suspect that is not the problem: because I was still logged in when I awoke the computer from sleep.

The problem has to do with (something like) "YOUR TOKEN HAS EXPIRED: Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in."

So: Problem 1: Loss of data entered. Problem 2: Back key just delivered the same message (again and again).

PS: I'm not complaining about limited time; just want to know what it is. And text editor is what I used: except for finalising the post (my fault) when I was formatting and tweeking the text, etc. (i.e., adding some good bits) for about an hour (my fault again), BUT thought I was safe. :redface:

Gordon Watson said:
...I suspect that is not the problem: because I was still logged in when I awoke the computer from sleep.

I'm still logged in when I wake my Windows 7 computer. Instead of the "Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in", just try refreshing. Works for me.

dlgoff said:
I'm still logged in when I wake my Windows 7 computer. Instead of the "Press the 'back' key to return to the thread you were in", just try refreshing. Works for me.

Yep, me too, on a Mac! Nice entry!

However: The winners cheque will go to the response that talks knowingly about TOKENS and TIME-OUTS; informing us all! :smile:

PS: A thought that might split the winnings!

Could it possibly be the same system that sets an "editing time-slot" limit of 700 minutes? Could it be that the editing system works via the same "TOKEN" system (but hides it)? For is it not editing that one is doing when to "TOKEN-expiry" message appears? Just maybe: EDITING an un-posted message has a limit < 700 minutes?

Last edited:
This forum is the most busy forum I ever found...hmm..
Waiting for replies for 2 or 3 days...and have to remind them by a PM about the thread..."have you forgot it ?"

Last edited by a moderator:
shalikadm said:
This forum is the most busy forum I ever found...hmm..
Waiting for replies for 2 or 3 days...and have to remind them by a PM about the thread..."have you forgot it ?"
Please do not make a habit of PMng members to help. Everyone here is a volunteer. They have jobs and families. They will help when and if they can. Just remember that before you contact anyone.

Evo said:
Please do not make a habit of PMng members to help. Everyone here is a volunteer. They have jobs and families. They will help when and if they can. Just remember that before you contact anyone.

Yes,I strictly believe about what you say...they are volunteers..Yes they have families and jobs..that's true..!

1. What is the best time to post on social media?

The best time to post on social media varies depending on the platform and your target audience. Generally, it is recommended to post during peak hours, which are typically in the morning and evening when people are commuting to and from work. However, it is important to also consider your specific audience's behavior and schedule.

2. Is there a specific day of the week that is best for posting?

Similar to the best time to post, the best day of the week to post on social media also depends on your target audience and the platform you are using. For example, weekdays tend to have higher engagement rates on LinkedIn, while weekends may be more effective for Instagram. It is important to experiment and analyze your own data to determine the optimal day for your specific audience.

3. Does the type of content matter for the timing of a post?

Yes, the type of content can play a role in the optimal time to post. For example, if you are sharing a blog post or article, it may be more effective to post during the day when people are more likely to have time to read and engage with longer-form content. On the other hand, if you are sharing a visual post, it may be more effective to post during peak hours when people are scrolling through social media on their commute or during breaks.

4. Are there any tools or resources to help determine the best time to post?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help determine the best time to post on social media. Some social media management platforms, such as Hootsuite and Sprout Social, have built-in analytics and scheduling features that can help you determine the optimal time to post based on your audience's behavior. Additionally, there are also third-party tools and resources, such as Followerwonk and Socialbakers, that offer data and insights on the best times to post on different platforms.

5. Is it better to post consistently at the same time or to vary the posting schedule?

This ultimately depends on your goals and your target audience. Some studies suggest that posting consistently at the same time can help build a loyal audience and increase engagement. However, others argue that varying the posting schedule can help reach a wider audience and avoid fatigue. It is important to consider your own data and experiment with different posting schedules to determine what works best for your specific audience.