Regarding the Clifford algebra and spinors

In summary, the gamma matricies are Lorentz invariant but the norm of a spinor describing a particle moving in a particular direction depends on its energy.
Kontilera
Hello! I´m currently taking a course in RQM and have some questions for which I didnt get any satisfactory answers on the lecture. All comments are appricieted!

1. Is the gamma zero tensor some kind of metric in the space for spinors? When normalizing our solution to the Dirac equation it seems as we use them exactly as our metric in SR.

2. As I understood it the gamma matricies are Lorentz invariant tensors. However when taking the norm of a spinor describing a particle moving in let's say the z-direction we get a answer that depends on the energy (only one component of our 4-momentum). In other words it seems as if our normalization is not invariant under Lorentz transformations and therefore not gamma 0?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a Lorentz 4-vector, x·x is not invariant. To get an invariant you have to insert a metric, x·η·x where η = (-1, 1, 1, 1).

Likewise for spinors, ψψ is not an invariant, you must insert a 4x4 matrix that acts like a metric, and consider instead ψ†ηψ. Now if a Dirac spinor transforms like ψ → Lψ under a Lorentz transformation, then ψηψ → ψLηLψ, and so the condition that this quantity is a Lorentz scalar is LηL = η. The solution is η = γ0.

Bill_K said:
For a Lorentz 4-vector, x·x is not invariant. To get an invariant you have to insert a metric, x·η·x where η = (-1, 1, 1, 1).

Likewise for spinors, ψψ is not an invariant, you must insert a 4x4 matrix that acts like a metric, and consider instead ψ†ηψ. Now if a Dirac spinor transforms like ψ → Lψ under a Lorentz transformation, then ψηψ → ψLηLψ, and so the condition that this quantity is a Lorentz scalar is LηL = η. The solution is η = γ0.

Yes! This is what I mean when I say that it seems as we use the gamma 0 tensor as a metric. However ψγ0ψ = 1 - (p_z/E+m)2 for a particle moving in the z direction. Is the RHS really a Lorentz scalar?

Is it mathematically correct to actually call γ0 our metric in the space of spinors? Or is this just a smiliarity of how we use an metric?

Surely, if the electron is moving along the z axis then [itex]p_z = p[/itex] and then
[tex]1 - (\frac{p}{(E + m)})^2 = \frac{E^2 + 2Em + m^2 - p^2}{(E + m)^2} = \frac{2m}{(E + m)}[/tex]
I'm no expert, but this doesn't look invariant to me.

The correctly normalized plane wave solution has an additional factor of ((E + m)/2m)½ in front. E.g. Bjorken and Drell vol I gives the plane wave solution as

ψ(pz) = ((E + m)/2m)½(pz/(E + m), 0, 1, 0)

Multiply your answer of 2m/(E + m) by this additional factor squared, and you get 1.

for free particle spinors,the convention is
u-u=2mS[itex]\dagger[/itex]S,where S is two component spinor normalized by
S[itex]\dagger[/itex]S=1.

Thanks Bill

Yeah I agree with you, but don't you see the problem I´m pointing at? :)

1) Our metric (γ0) defines an inner product which gives us a norm, |ψ|2 = ψηψ.
2)When I calculate the norm of a spinor it is dependent of its energy.
3) Energy is not a Lorentz scalar so the norm is not invariant under Lorentz transformations.

So it seems to me that our metric is not Lorentz invariant. But I assume that there is some misunderstanding in my logic..

2)When I calculate the norm of a spinor it is dependent of its energy.
No sorry, if that's the case, you're using improperly normalized wavefunctions! See above:
The correctly normalized plane wave solution has an additional factor of ((E + m)/2m)½ in front. E.g. Bjorken and Drell vol I gives the plane wave solution as

ψ(pz) = ((E + m)/2m)½(pz/(E + m), 0, 1, 0)
The norm of this wavefunction is ψψ = 1, as it should be. The plane wave solution is derived by taking a solution at rest and Lorentz transforming it, so its norm is guaranteed to be Lorentz invariant, by construction.

The full set of wavefunctions for given p consist of two positive energy solutions ur(p) and two negative energy solutions vr(p) where r = ±1 is the spin coordinate. The normalization is:
ur(p)us(p) = δrs
vr(p)vs(p) = - δrs
ur(p)vs(p) = vr(p)us(p) = 0

Yeah, I am with you now. Dont know why but I regareded your additional normalization factor as a dimensionless constant which only normalizes for one inertial frame. :)

1. What is the Clifford algebra?

The Clifford algebra is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of complex numbers to higher dimensions. It is a type of geometric algebra that uses elements called "multivectors" to represent rotations, translations, and other transformations in space. It is also closely related to the concept of spinors, which are used in quantum mechanics to describe the intrinsic spin of particles.

2. What are spinors and how are they related to the Clifford algebra?

Spinors are mathematical objects that represent the intrinsic spin of particles in quantum mechanics. They have a complex structure and are closely related to the Clifford algebra. In fact, the Clifford algebra provides a framework for understanding and manipulating spinors, making it an important tool in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

3. How are spinors used in physics?

Spinors are used in physics to describe the intrinsic spin of particles, which is a fundamental property of particles that cannot be explained by classical physics. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as in general relativity and quantum field theory, to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical systems.

4. What is the significance of the Clifford algebra in physics?

The Clifford algebra has a wide range of applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and manipulating spinors, which are essential for describing the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has connections to other important concepts in physics, such as symmetries and transformations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Clifford algebra and spinors?

Yes, the Clifford algebra and spinors have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used in areas such as quantum computing, robotics, and computer graphics. The concept of spinors has also been applied in fields outside of physics, such as biology and genetics, to represent the structure and behavior of complex systems.