SEM Project Ideas for Undergrad

In summary, the author is looking for ways to research microbes and their interactions with drugs. They are interested in studying microtubules and energy requirements for breaking them.
lunaskye0
Hey Forum,

So I am in my final semester in my undergraduate program for Biology. I am going into bioimaging field of study, so I took on a research elective utilizing a scanning electron microscope.

I am also taking a one credit directed study in microbiology which is used to combine and substitute for another course in order for my graduate.

While others who are doing an SEM project can choose to do a project on any topic, I am to relate my SEM to microbiology. Kind of hard because its not really my favorite subject.

I was hoping to get some ideas of what I can do research on (keeping in mind this is undergraduate level).

My micro professor has suggested something about testing microbes against drug treatments. Honestly, it had been a while since I actually took microbiology I was a little daunted by the terminology.

I feel a little lost. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Feed microbes fats at different concentrations as well as fat metabolic inhibitors (if they exist). Image them for membrane morphological changes.

The point here is that lipids are an essential part of the LPS that causes human immune response and septic shock. Lipid metabolism and incorporation into LPS structures or lipid bilayers that make up the cellular membrane, unlike proteins with their DNA templates, have no code to control for it. Lipid metabolic networks then have to essentially respond to extracellular environment and nutrients. Also, bacteria are used as overexpression systems for things like membrane proteins. Unfortunately, when you try to overexpress membrane proteins in cellular systems, proteins aggregate, don't fold properly, yadda yadda. You can make a yeast or bacteria produce almost any protein you want, however, a bottleneck is that cell membranes have capacity limits. Maybe if we better understand how bacteria could possibly grow based on environments with different lipid content, you could optimize the environment for bacterial expression systems to produce to create the largest possible membrane surface area for membrane proteins, which would help maximize your yields of properly folded membrane proteins. Lots of ideas.

Microtubules are the recent rage. If I was looking at a cell with a SEM, I'd be happy just to get one of those things roughly centered in my image.
Perhaps you should measure the energy required to break a microtubule under different stress configurations.

What is SEM?

SEM stands for Scanning Electron Microscopy, which is a type of microscopy that uses a beam of electrons to produce high-resolution images of a sample's surface.

What are some potential SEM project ideas for undergrad students?

1. Analysis of different types of pollen grains using SEM
2. Investigating the effects of various surface treatments on the topography of materials
3. Characterizing the microstructure of bacterial biofilms
4. Studying the morphology of insect wings at different developmental stages
5. Exploring the structure of hair fibers from different animal species using SEM

What are the benefits of using SEM in undergraduate research projects?

SEM allows for detailed examination of samples at a nanoscale level, providing valuable insights into their structure and composition. It also allows for the visualization of samples in their natural state, without the need for staining or other preparation methods, which can alter the sample's properties.

What are the limitations of SEM?

One limitation of SEM is that it can only be used on conductive samples, as the electron beam needs to be able to pass through the sample. Additionally, SEM is a surface imaging technique, so it cannot provide information about the internal structure of a sample.

Do undergraduate students need specialized training to use SEM?

Yes, undergraduate students should receive proper training and guidance from experienced researchers before using SEM. This includes understanding the instrument's operation, safety precautions, and sample preparation techniques. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the principles of microscopy and sample analysis to accurately interpret the results obtained from SEM.