Height, hangtime, and range during frictionless freefall.

In summary: Once you do that, labeling with vectors will be much easier. As for why cos for x and sin for y, those are the angles of the x and y components, respectively.
pwoodruff89
Ok, so I've got this physics question on a review sheet for a test tomorrow...and I keep getting a bunch of random answers that don't make sense...see if you can help me...

Someone kicks the football from ground level (0 meters) with an initial velocity of 32 meters/second, 34 degrees above the horizontal axis. Find the hangtime of the ball (time in the air), the range (how far it goes) and the max height. Assume air resistance is negligible (no air friction, just gravity).

I just have no idea where i put this 34 degrees into my equations...

And we're using 9.8m/s2 for gravity.

And in yalls opinion, what's the best place to start this question? Hang time, range or max height?

Physics news on Phys.org
Id recommend trying to use some equations. Write what you think you should use and WHY.

Look up kinematic equations for projectile motion (It's basicly working a constant velocity motion and a uniform acceleration motion).

there are only two equations of motion.
find those.
eliminate time between them and you can get a third.

where to put the angle: did you draw a picture? did you draw the velocity and acceleration vectors?

what to start with: if you know what is happening to the ball, then this is really really easy. what is hang time?

Cyclovenom said:
Look up kinematic equations for projectile motion (It's basicly working a constant velocity motion and a uniform acceleration motion).

thank you...*goes to find those equations*...suggestions?

kinematics. motion under a constant force.

thank you...*goes to find those equations*...suggestions?

If you can't do that, Id recommend reading your book before attempting to do the homework and asking others to do it for you. Read about particle motion, most likely chapter 2-3 or so.

cyrusabdollahi said:
If you can't do that, Id recommend reading your book before attempting to do the homework and asking others to do it for you. Read about particle motion, most likely chapter 2-3 or so.
well..i've got a test tomorrow...so i'd like to know how to do the problems myself...I am not asking for others to do it for me...but just to get me started...that seems to help...i pay attention in class...and our teacher has never given us a problem like this before...but I looked up a couple formulas...and this is what i got...xcomponent=32cos34deg.
ycomponent=32sin34deg.

xcomponentinitial=26.529m/s
ycomponentinitial=17.894m/s

0+17.894t-4.9t2=0
4.9t=17.894
t=3.652

RANGE:

x=0+26.529t
x=26.529(3.652)
x=96.880Max Height:
17.894-9.8t=0
9.8t=17.894
t=1.826s

y=0+17.894t-4.9t2
y=17.894(1.826)-4.9(3.334)
y=32.674-16.337
y=16.337

I hope you got your anwser by understanding why and how you use those equations and did not just plug into an example problem in the book that was very simliar, 4 posts ago you did not even know what equations to use and now you have the anwser done...?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I hope you got your anwser by understanding why and how you use those equations and did not just plug into an example problem in the book that was very simliar, 4 posts ago you did not even know what equations to use and now you have the anwser done...?

well...i took what we did from vectors in the first couple units and applied those...i understood vectors...so once i put everything in components...everything seemed to work...anything wrong there?...and by the way i haven't brought my textbook home all year...our teacher doesn't like it...and she teaches above what's in there...

As long as you know what your doing and did the work yourself. It just seemed odd that you did not even know which equations to use and all of a sudden you solved it like magic in a mere 5 mins. Your method of applying vectors is correct. As for not bringing your book home, I can't imagine why you would not care to take it home so that you have a reference at the very least.

if you use the 2 kinematic equations and eliminate time between them you get an expression for max height that has 3 terms. None of them have angles. Once you do this, you will be able to know the max height for ANY projectile if you know what Vinitial is.

what it looks like you've done is, is go back to example problem and change the numbers.
are you going to be able to do it when you don't have the example problem?
do you know why it's cos for x and sin for y?

if you don't know how to draw a picture and label it with appropriate vectors, you will have problems forever because the first step is always draw the picture.

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is a physics term that refers to the motion of an object falling due to the force of gravity, without any other forces acting on it.

2. How does friction affect freefall?

In a frictionless environment, such as in a vacuum, there is no resistance or friction acting on an object in freefall. This means that the object will continue to accelerate towards the ground until it reaches its terminal velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the height of an object during freefall?

The equation for calculating the height of an object during freefall is h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

4. How does hangtime relate to freefall?

Hangtime refers to the amount of time an object remains in the air during freefall. The longer an object is in freefall, the longer its hangtime will be. This is because the object is constantly accelerating towards the ground due to gravity.

5. What factors affect the range of an object during freefall?

The range of an object during freefall is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the height from which the object is dropped. These factors can be calculated using equations such as the range equation (R = v * t * cosθ) and the horizontal displacement equation (x = v * t).