Spherical Harmonics: Evaluating 2lth Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of evaluating the expression for the Y_l^l spherical harmonic and suggests using a change of variables to simplify the process. It also mentions that there is a pattern that emerges when working with different values of l.
eep
Hi,

I'm trying to get the [itex]Y_l^l [/itex] spherical harmonic and I'm running into problems evaluating the following expression:

[tex]
\frac{d^{2l}(\cos^2(\theta) - 1)^l}{d\cos(\theta)^{2l}}
[/tex]

The 2lth derivative with respect to cos theta of cos squared theta - 1 to the lth power
it just seems like I'm going to end up with more and more terms as I keep differentiating..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, let's not make this more complicated then it has to be. Do a change of variables: [itex]x=\cos(\theta)[/itex].

Now try to work it out for the first few values of [itex]l[/itex]. You should notice a simple pattern emerging. (Hint: I would expand the expression [itex](x^2-1)^l[/itex] before differentiating.

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions used to describe the behavior of waves on a spherical surface. They are commonly used in physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

What is the significance of evaluating 2lth derivative in spherical harmonics?

Evaluating the 2lth derivative of spherical harmonics allows us to determine the behavior of waves on a spherical surface at a specific point. This information is important in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

How are spherical harmonics evaluated?

Spherical harmonics can be evaluated using various methods, including numerical integration, recursion, and series expansion. The specific method used depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

What are the applications of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have many applications in physics and engineering, including solving problems involving spherical symmetry, analyzing electromagnetic fields, and modeling the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic lighting and shading effects.

Are there any limitations to using spherical harmonics?

While spherical harmonics are a powerful tool for solving problems involving spherical symmetry, they do have some limitations. They may not accurately represent the behavior of waves on a highly irregular or non-spherical surface. Additionally, the calculations involved can become complex for higher orders, making it difficult to use in certain applications.