Circuits Wired Partially in Series and Partially in Parallel

In summary, the equivalent resistance between points A and B is 6 ohms. This can be found by collapsing the circuit into a linear circuit and combining the series and parallel resistors. For the second circuit, the equivalent resistance would be 4.5 ohms using the same technique.
StudentofPhysics
20_63alt.gif

R1 = 3 ohms; R2 = 6 ohms

What is the equivalent resistance between A & B?

I just can't find the right answer with this one.

I don't know if I'm placing the wrong ones in parallel. I've tried two different set ups. How exactly does this type of wiring set up work?

This one is giving me the same problem:
R1 = 3 ohms; R2 = 9 ohms ; R3 = 12 ohms
http://www.webassign.net/userimages/barrett.3@osu/CJ6-20-061-small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, collapse the three series resistors on the right into a single resistor, (3 + 6 + R2) ohms. Next, combine that resistor in parallel with the 8 ohm resistor. Next, combine that in series with the 4 ohm resistor... etc.

- Warren

Break it up into a linear circuit:

10----------------------------B
A-R1-- | |
| 8-----| |
4------- |
6---R2----3---|

I apologize for it being so bootleg, but does this help?

EDIT: Apparently it collapsed all the empty space, so quote my post to see what it's really supposed to look like

Warren,
Thanks for the help on the first circuit. I understand the technique now.

Not sure if I understand how to apply it to the 2nd but I'm trying right now.

OS- thanks for the help but I got it.
The spacing was still messed up in the qoute though :rofl:

Is it the same approach for the 2nd circuit?

For the second:

Combine R3 and the 9 ohm. Then that's in parallel with the 6 ohm. That, R1, and R2 are in series, and that's in parallel with the 20 ohm

OK, I succeeded at # 2 aswell
thanks for allt he help

FOr future reference, even though you can't see my diagram very well, it's useful to take point b, and "rotate" it directly horizontal with point a. Then redraw the circuit, and what's in series and what's parallel should be more obvious

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, creating multiple pathways for the current to flow.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit wired partially in series and partially in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance, you need to first find the equivalent resistance of the series portion and the equivalent resistance of the parallel portion. Then, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... to find the total resistance.

Can a circuit be wired partially in series and partially in parallel?

Yes, it is possible to have a circuit that contains both series and parallel components. This type of circuit is known as a combination circuit.

What are the advantages of using a circuit wired partially in series and partially in parallel?

Circuits wired partially in series and partially in parallel allow for a balance between voltage and current. The series portion provides a constant current, while the parallel portion allows for different voltage levels. This can be useful in applications where different components require different voltage levels.

What are some common applications of circuits wired partially in series and partially in parallel?

This type of circuit is commonly used in household wiring, automotive electrical systems, and electronic devices. It is also used in power distribution systems, where it allows for more efficient use of electricity.