Lightning Strike Damage: TVs, Cable Modem & VCR

In summary: I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem.In summary, my house was zapped by lightning and I lost two TVs, a VCR, and my cable modem. The cheaper TVs didn't sustain as much damage as the more expensive ones. The best TV didn't turn on at all, while the picture only filled half the screen and the colors screwed up on the other damaged TV. The cheap ones in the bedrooms didn't sustain any damage at all. My surge protectors for electrical power didn't see a glimpse of activity, and anything connected to cable was at risk. I've never heard of this happening before, although if a lightning surge can travel through the phone line, then the cable line is similar
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We had a thunderstorm Thursday evening and I think my house got zapped by lightening. I lost two TV's, a VCR, and my cable modem. Of course, the good news is that the cheaper the TV, the less damage it sustained. The best TV doesn't turn on at all, while the picture only fills half the screen and the colors screwed up on the other damaged TV. The cheap ones in the bedrooms didn't sustain any damage at all.

All the surge protectors for electrical power and not a one saw a glimpse of activity. The only thing in common is that anything connected to cable was at risk.

I've never heard of that happening before, although, if a lightning surge can travel through the phone line, then I guess the cable's not much different (I was also pretty sure the cable was buried, but maybe not).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what it sounds like, a surge through your cable line. My TVs are all cheap, so I don't worry about them, but for the cable modem, I connect the cable line through a surge protector. I'm really not sure even that would help in the event of a lightning strike, but figure it at least protects against any spikes in power coming through when the power goes out and comes back on.

BobG said:
We had a thunderstorm Thursday evening and I think my house got zapped by lightening. I lost two TV's, a VCR, and my cable modem. Of course, the good news is that the cheaper the TV, the less damage it sustained. The best TV doesn't turn on at all, while the picture only fills half the screen and the colors screwed up on the other damaged TV. The cheap ones in the bedrooms didn't sustain any damage at all.

All the surge protectors for electrical power and not a one saw a glimpse of activity. The only thing in common is that anything connected to cable was at risk.

I've never heard of that happening before, although, if a lightning surge can travel through the phone line, then I guess the cable's not much different (I was also pretty sure the cable was buried, but maybe not).
Welcome to the club. Luckily you sustained less damage than I did, but it's still upsetting.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=81078&highlight=lightning

I've been unplugging stuff during storms. Losing two TV's, a VCR, and a cable modem sucks though.

Physics_wiz said:
I've been unplugging stuff during storms. Losing two TV's, a VCR, and a cable modem sucks though.
Yeah, geez, you might have to start reading books for entertainment, or, gulp, talk to the other people in the house! :bugeye: :rofl:

I don't think a lot of people really think about the cable line when thinking about unplugging things during storms.

BobG, in all likelihood your coax shield is not (properly) grounded. Cable companies rarely bother doing that. If it isn't, you should call them and have them ground it. And have them measure resistance to ground when they're done.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I'm really not sure even that would help in the event of a lightning strike, but figure it at least protects against any spikes in power coming through when the power goes out and comes back on.

Yes, the effectiveness of the home protection units is slight to none. In industry we use real surge protectiion that, in the case of a low power 110VAC line for example, sells for about $1200. The unit is designed to safely explode, which absorbs the energy from the strike.

The best course of action is to unplug everything when lightning is around.

Last edited:

What is a lightning strike?

A lightning strike is a sudden discharge of electricity between a cloud and the ground or between two clouds, typically during a thunderstorm.

Can a lightning strike damage my electronic devices?

Yes, a lightning strike can cause damage to electronic devices such as TVs, cable modems, and VCRs. The high voltage and current of a lightning strike can overload and damage the delicate electronic components in these devices.

What should I do if my electronic devices are hit by lightning?

If your electronic devices are hit by lightning, it is important to unplug them from the power source and disconnect any cables connected to them. Do not touch the devices while they are still connected to a power source, as there is a risk of electric shock. It is recommended to have a professional inspect the devices before using them again.

Are there any precautions I can take to protect my devices from lightning strikes?

Yes, there are some precautions you can take to protect your devices from lightning strikes. These include using surge protectors, unplugging electronic devices during a thunderstorm, and installing a lightning rod on your home.

What are the signs of lightning strike damage on electronic devices?

Signs of lightning strike damage on electronic devices may include not turning on, flickering or distorted screens, and unusual noises or smells. If you suspect your device has been damaged by a lightning strike, it is best to have it inspected by a professional.