Find Position of Charge 3 in Two Charge System

In summary, the problem involves three charged particles, with charges q, 4q, and q respectively, located a distance d apart on the x-axis. The goal is to find the possible positions of the third particle, with charge q, where the force exerted on it by the first two particles is equal. Using the equations for electrostatic force, this can be solved by setting the two forces equal to each other and solving the resulting quadratic equation. The two possible values for the position of the third particle are 4q^2 and -d, with the second value being verified as correct. However, it is unclear why the answer is being asked for in terms of k and q, since they cancel out in the equations.
fsm

Homework Statement

Two charged particles, with charges q_1=q and q_2=4q, are located a distance d apart on the x axis. A third charged particle, with charge q_3=q, is placed on the x-axis such that the magnitude of the force that charge 1 exerts on charge 3 is equal to the force that charge 2 exerts on charge 3.
Find the position of charge 3. Assume that all three charges are positive.

So charge 3 could be inbetween charge 1 and 2, or to the left of charge 1. The problem wants me to find "2 possible VALUES" of charge 3. How can i find a value when no values were given to me in the word problem. THey want the X_3,1, and X_3,2 in terms of Q, D, and K (coulomb constant).

Homework Equations

[tex] F_{\textrm{2 \,on \,3}} = k\frac{q_2 q_3}{d-x_3} = k\frac{4q^2}{d-x_3} [/tex]
and
[tex] F_{\textrm{1 \,on \,3}} = k\frac{q_1 q_3}{d-x_3} = k\frac{q^2}{x_3^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For an answer I get 4q^2 and -d

It says that -d is wrong. I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all I would like to point out that electrostatic force is proportional to the inverse square of distance. Secondly, what is this d - x3 business? define the force on 3 from 2 as the following and go from there.

[tex] F_{23}=k\frac{q_2q_3}{x_{23}^2} [/tex]

You will have to work out how to relate that distance with d and the distance from the first charge.

I know that electrostatic force is proportional to the inverse square of distance. As for as the d-x_3 business that how the problem is defined and how the problem is to be answered. Those were the constraints put on me. The first two equations are correct because that was part a and part b. I could not continue the rest of the problem if those two equations were wrong. From there I set the two equations equal and get a quadratic equation. 4q^2 is correct and verified. The second part of the answer is where thing are not right.

Ok sorted I know why its d-x and so forth. I've worked through myself and I get x will be d/3 and -d so I can't see why they say its not correct. Also asking for the answer in terms of k and q is a bit strange since they cancel. Perhaps if you posted your working it would be easier to diagnose the problem.

What is the formula for finding the position of charge 3 in a two-charge system?

The formula for finding the position of charge 3 in a two-charge system is:x3 = (q1x1 + q2x2) / (q1 + q2)Where x3 is the position of charge 3, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two charges, and x1 and x2 are the positions of the two charges.

How do I determine the direction of the position of charge 3 in a two-charge system?

To determine the direction of the position of charge 3, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the first charge, then curl your fingers towards the second charge. The direction your fingers are pointing is the direction of the position of charge 3.

Can the position of charge 3 be negative in a two-charge system?

Yes, the position of charge 3 can be negative in a two-charge system. This indicates that the charge is located on the negative side of the axis, while a positive position indicates that the charge is located on the positive side of the axis.

What units are used to measure the position of charge 3 in a two-charge system?

The position of charge 3 is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm), depending on the scale of the system. It is important to use consistent units when calculating the position using the formula.

Is the position of charge 3 affected by the magnitude of the charges in a two-charge system?

Yes, the position of charge 3 is affected by the magnitude of the charges in a two-charge system. The larger the magnitude of the charges, the larger the position of charge 3 will be from the axis.