Having trouble with eclipsing binaries.

• Thread starter Soylentgreen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a frustrated individual trying to solve a problem for the science olympiad. The problem involves an eclipsing binary system with two stars, star Q with 800 solar luminosities and star R with 5 solar luminosities. The radius of star R is 1,000,000 km and its mass is 0.75 solar masses. The apparent magnitude of star R is 11.6, but it is unknown if the stars are main sequence. The individual is asking for help in solving for the apparent magnitude of star Q, the separation of the two stars in km, the distance to the system in parsecs, and the absolute magnitude of star R.
Soylentgreen
I have been looking at this problem for a while and i am really getting frustrated. This is for science olympiad... it isn't graded, but i want to learn how to do it.

Here it is. I have an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. Star Q has 800 solar luminosities, while the other star, star R, has 5 solar luminosities.
the radius of star R is 1,000,000 km, and it is .75 solar masses. Its apparent magnitude is 11.6.
It does not say whether or not the stars are main sequence.

a) what is the apparent magnitude of star R?
b) what is the separation of the two stars in km
c) what is the distance to the star system in parsecs.
d) what is the absolute magniude of star R.the answer for the above questions are as follows:
a) 5.8-6.3
b) 7-8x 10^9 km
c) 470-530 parsecs
d) 2.8-3.4

i have the answers but i don't know how to get to them and i have been trying for over an hour and a half. please help someone!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, I don't understand this problem.

Soylentgreen said:
I have been looking at this problem for a while and i am really getting frustrated. This is for science olympiad... it isn't graded, but i want to learn how to do it.

Here it is. I have an eclipsing binary system with a period of 1 year. Star Q has 800 solar luminosities, while the other star, star R, has 5 solar luminosities.
the radius of star R is 1,000,000 km, and it is .75 solar masses. Its apparent magnitude is 11.6.It does not say whether or not the stars are main sequence.

a) what is the apparent magnitude of star R?

It says right there. I don't understand. :confused:

crap... i meant to say apparent magnitude of star Q. my bad

I can't seem to get those answers, no matter what I try. I only have a few basic equations though, but it should be enough. :confused:

1. What are eclipsing binaries?

Eclipsing binaries are a type of binary star system where the two stars orbit each other in such a way that one star periodically passes in front of the other, causing a decrease in overall brightness as seen from Earth.

2. How do eclipsing binaries form?

Eclipsing binaries are formed when two stars are in a close enough orbit that they influence each other's shape and movement. As they orbit, they can pass in front of each other, causing the eclipses.

3. Why is studying eclipsing binaries important?

Studying eclipsing binaries can provide us with valuable information about the properties and evolution of stars. By analyzing the light curves during eclipses, we can determine the sizes, masses, and temperatures of the stars, as well as their distance from Earth.

4. What challenges do scientists face when studying eclipsing binaries?

One of the main challenges in studying eclipsing binaries is accurately measuring the small changes in brightness during eclipses. This requires precise instruments and techniques. Additionally, eclipsing binaries can have complex orbits, making it difficult to accurately measure their properties.

5. How can we use eclipsing binaries to learn about the universe?

Eclipsing binaries can be used as standard candles, meaning that we can use their known properties to measure distances to other celestial objects. This allows us to accurately map and study the structure and evolution of our galaxy and beyond.