How large is specimen under microscope?

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for measuring the size of plant cells using a microscope. The participants consider using a scale or measuring the field of view, and a link is provided with step-by-step instructions. The average size of human and bacterial cells is mentioned, with plant cells being larger.
hexa
Hello,

I thought I help my nice with her microscope. We want to know how large some plant cells are that we're looking at. Hoe do we do that?

There is no scale inside the microscope so I wonder if it possible to work out how large the field of view is with a certain lense. What do we have to do if we assume a magnification of for example 2.5 and the eye piece is x8? I already tried to put milimeter paper under the microscope but the light is not strong enough. Any other ideas?

Hexa

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is a good link for measureing cell size. With step #6, you should be able to figure it out.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/size.htm

For beginners, the average human cell is around 50 micrometers(0.05mm) in diameter. A bacterial cell is 3-5 micrometers.
Plant cells are larger, up to 100 micrometers.

Have fun!

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Here is a good link for measureing cell size
http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/size.htm

For beginners, the average human cell is around 50 micrometers(0.05mm) in diameter. A bacterial cell is 3-5 micrometers.
Plant cells are larger, up to 100 micrometers.

Have fun!

Thanks a lot,

the link seems to be what I was looking for. So let's see if we can work out how large the field of view is :D

Hexa

1. How do you determine the size of a specimen under a microscope?

The size of a specimen under a microscope can be determined by using a calibrated eyepiece or stage micrometer. These tools have known measurements that can be used to compare with the size of the specimen being observed.

2. What is the unit of measurement used for determining the size of a specimen under a microscope?

The unit of measurement used for determining the size of a specimen under a microscope is typically micrometers (µm). This is equivalent to one millionth of a meter.

3. Can the size of a specimen under a microscope be accurately determined?

Yes, the size of a specimen under a microscope can be accurately determined by using the appropriate tools and techniques. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality of the microscope and the proficiency of the user.

4. Does the magnification of the microscope affect the size of the specimen?

Yes, the magnification of the microscope does affect the size of the specimen. As the magnification increases, the size of the specimen appears larger. However, it's important to note that the actual size of the specimen remains the same.

5. Is it necessary to calibrate the microscope before measuring the size of a specimen?

Yes, it is important to calibrate the microscope before measuring the size of a specimen. This ensures that the measurements are accurate and reliable. It is recommended to calibrate the microscope regularly to maintain accuracy.