Algebra Calculators: Expanding, Factoring & Finding Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculators for symbolic calculations and the importance of not becoming too reliant on them. It also mentions that some calculators, such as the TI-89, have the capability to expand and factorize equations. However, it is emphasized that it is important to learn how to do these calculations manually. The conversation also touches on the potential negative effects of using calculators too frequently, and the preference for using calculators for more complex problems rather than simple ones. The conversation ends with a mention of MATLAB as an alternative for symbolic math.
JimmyJockstrap
Is there calculators you can type in eg.

(x+3)(2x-9)(x+4)=y and it can expand and factorise, vice versa for you?

or would you just use a graph calculator to find the roots?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, there are calculators that will do "symbolic" calculations. The TI80 series comes to mind. But it is real good idea to learn how to do them yourself and not depend on calculators!

That's not even a hard thing to break down and fool around with.

It gets way harder than that. And even then, do it yourself and test it to see if it's correct. Put some time into it. :smile:

JimmyJockstrap: (x+3)(2x-9)(x+4)=y and it can expand and factorise, vice versa for you?

Sure, put it into the TI89 and use the "Expand" key and get: 2X^3 + 5X^2-39X-108.

my experience (admittedly early in the algebraic calculator time frame) was that the equations displayed on the limited screen were so hard to decipher, that it was only practical to use on simple equations, but then you should not need the calculator to do the the simple stuff.

The screen is not all that good, but if you are interested in things like:

[tex](1+\sqrt5)^6 = 576 +256\sqrt5[/tex], then you get the answer right away.

remark: calculators are evil. they make you dumber.

think about it, if riding in a car and sitting in front of the tv with a remote makes you fat and lazy and slow, what do you think it does to your brain to use a calculator?

the action is very fast too. one summer i used a calculator to change policy premiums at an insurance firm, and out of habit when i ahd a simple problem to do, instead of adding up the numbers in my head i used the calculator.

by th end oif the summer i could not do squat in my head after leaving the firm for quite a while. and i was a star at doing mental math. so beware. if you laugh at the fat kid who sits in the stands eating a big pizza while you are playing basketball, well mentally that is you, if you are using a calculator, and the fat is in your brain.

so there. now try to enjoy your calculator.

Halls of Ivy: Yes, there are calculators that will do "symbolic" calculations. The TI80 series comes to mind. But it is real good idea to learn how to do them yourself and not depend on calculators!

Of course, I was not supposing it was better to buy the TI-89 and learn that in order to do simple Algebra!

mathwonk said:
remark: calculators are evil. they make you dumber.

think about it, if riding in a car and sitting in front of the tv with a remote makes you fat and lazy and slow, what do you think it does to your brain to use a calculator?

the action is very fast too. one summer i used a calculator to change policy premiums at an insurance firm, and out of habit when i ahd a simple problem to do, instead of adding up the numbers in my head i used the calculator.

by th end oif the summer i could not do squat in my head after leaving the firm for quite a while. and i was a star at doing mental math. so beware. if you laugh at the fat kid who sits in the stands eating a big pizza while you are playing basketball, well mentally that is you, if you are using a calculator, and the fat is in your brain.

so there. now try to enjoy your calculator.

At the same time I don't want to spend 20 minutes working out an integral I know I can do when a calculator will give me the same answer in seconds. I'm a physicist, not a mathematician. I don't need to work out every problem. I just need to know that I'm capable of doing it.

If you have MATLAB on your computer, it does symbolic math too

What is an algebra calculator?

An algebra calculator is a tool that allows you to perform various algebraic operations, such as expanding, factoring, and finding roots, on mathematical expressions or equations. It can save time and effort by providing quick and accurate solutions to complex algebraic problems.

How do I use an algebra calculator?

The exact steps for using an algebra calculator may vary depending on the specific calculator you are using. However, in general, you can enter an algebraic expression or equation into the calculator and use the provided buttons or functions to perform the desired operation. Some calculators may also have options for inputting variables or constants.

What is the purpose of expanding an algebraic expression?

Expanding an algebraic expression means simplifying it by removing parentheses and combining like terms. This allows you to see the underlying structure of the expression and make it easier to work with. It is commonly used in solving equations or simplifying complex expressions.

Why is factoring important in algebra?

Factoring is the reverse of expanding, where an expression is broken down into its simpler factors. It is important in algebra because it helps in solving equations and in simplifying expressions. It also allows you to find the roots of an equation, which can be useful in real-life applications such as finding the break-even point in business.

What does finding roots mean in algebra?

In algebra, finding roots refers to determining the values of the variable that make an equation true. These values are also known as solutions or zeros of the equation. Using an algebra calculator, you can find the roots of both linear and quadratic equations, as well as higher-order polynomials.