Suggested Book Recommendations for High School Physics Project

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, students in a high school physics class were assigned a project to read a novel or book related to physics and answer questions on it. One student, who is interested in astronomy, is seeking suggestions for books that are not too difficult. Some recommendations include "Fabrics of the Cosmos" and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Bang!" by Brian May, Patrick Moore, and Chris Lintotti, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Origins" by Neil Tyson, "Big Bang" by Joe Silk, "100 Billion Suns" by Rudolph Kippenhahn, "Frozen Star" by George Greenstein, and works by novelist Greg Bear and science fiction writer Isaac Asim
AFG34
Hi all

I am in Grd.12 in High School. For my physics class, our teacher gave us a project where you read a novel or book related to physics and you answer some questions on it. Since I am interested in astronomy (stars, galaxies, supernovas etc) i wanted to read an astronomy book. So can you guys please suggest some books that is not too hard for me :D

btw, here is the handout the teacher gave us : http://i14.tinypic.com/5x9b32r.jpg

AFG34

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow, I wish I had had projects like this in high school.

Brian Greene - Fabrics of the cosmos, or the elegant universe
Bang! The complete history of the universe - Brian May/Patrick Moore/Chris Lintotti
Stephen Hawking - A brief history of time (Might be too advanced)
Origins - Neil Tyson (haven't read it, but heard it is very good)

A little harder but still readable "Big Bang" by Joe silk "100 billion suns" Rudolph Kippenhahn or "frozen star" George Greenstein.

I recommend Greg Bear, a novelist who weaves credible physics into his story lines. The ideas are not difficult to defend or critique, and he is an entertaining read. Another off the top of my head recommendation is scifi stories by Isaac Asimov - also easy to defend or critique.

Last edited:
One of my favorite books is Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne. It's a decently sized book (approx 600+ pages) with tons of history buildup... The book flows in a timeline manner starting out with the earliest developments in physics/astronomy although it mainly concentrates on the solar aspect ie. black hole theory.. It goes pretty indepth into the lives of say, Eddington, Hawking, Einstein, Wheeler and Bhor as a examples. It touches at least a little on all aspects relating. Also, due to the amount of technical papers, footnotes and charts, it makes for a pretty decent reference book.

I recommend the book to anyone.

What are the best books to use for a high school physics project?

The best books to use for a high school physics project will depend on the specific topic and level of the project. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

Are there any books specifically designed for high school physics projects?

Yes, there are books specifically designed for high school physics projects. Some examples include "High School Physics Unlocked" by Princeton Review and "The Handy Physics Answer Book" by Paul W. Zitzewitz.

Can I find free online resources for high school physics projects?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for high school physics projects. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. You can also check with your school or local library for access to online databases and e-books.

How do I know which book is best for my specific project?

To determine which book is best for your specific project, consider the topic, level of difficulty, and your personal learning style. You may also want to consult with your teacher or a librarian for recommendations.

Are there any books that provide step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments?

Yes, there are books that provide step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments. Some examples include "Physics Experiments for Children" by Muriel Mandell and "Teaching Physics with Toys" by Jearl Walker. Additionally, many online resources also provide detailed instructions for experiments.